transfer of files from old HARD DISK to new computer W/O an old computer. (It died - can't use it) I have the hard disk but need help transferring my old files and settings.

• My old Win XP computer died - it is completely unusable! I purchased a new PC with 1TB and Win 7 Pro. I still have the old HARD DRIVE (250 GB) which I have attached to the new computer using an external enclosure supporting SATA drives. The external drive is connected to the new computer using USB 3.0. I have verified the new computer can see the external drive. (I have also used it for backups by changing the hard drive with a 2TB 'mass storage' drive - which works.)

I have searched the internet for possible solutions and haven't found any help. If Microsoft's Easy Transfer would allow changing the drive to scan it would be simple. But if I select OLD computer it scans the drive I am on (new) - automatically.

Is there anyone who has had the same problem? There has got to be because computers die all the time and people purchase new computers - which then, somehow, they get the old files transferred. I could do it manually but that wouldn't change the settings. Last resort would be to buy an old XP (SATA) computer, replace the drive. Transfer the files, then sell that computer.

• Edited by Jimbthom Monday, October 01, 2012 2:07 AM
    Monday, October 01, 2012 2:02 AM