Files being deleted? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I installed 4 Harddrives to my Homeserver, and removed one of them. Now I'm missing lots of files. The Treeview of the folders still exists, but all the Files inside the folders are gone.

You know something to help?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, April 9, 2007 6:17 AM

Answers

• The files are probably not lost. They are likely still on the drive you removed. There is a known issue with Drive Extender in this beta which results in DE leaving behind files that are stored on a drive. If the files on WHS aren't duplicated, then there's only one copy, on one drive. Because DE actually leaves files in place when you remove a drive through the console, removing the drive afterward results in the tombstones staying behind, but the files they point to vanishing.

Try connecting the drive to another PC and examining the file system. WHS formats drives as standard NTFS, so you should be able to connect it to any other PC.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 11:15 AM
  • If you have not reformatted the drive, then they will probably be stored here (assuming the drive is mounted on another PC as D: ) :

D:\DE\shares\<sharename>\fileorfolder\...

where fileorfolder is a file name or a folder path to the file you're looking for. DE is probably going to be a hidden folder.
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 2:41 PM

All replies

• How did you remove your HDD? Through the console> server storage? Or just unhooked the drive? It might be something related to drive extender technolgy. Though I am not sure myself.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 6:49 AM
  • I removed it with the console.... and now I have 50 Gb of Music missing....
    Monday, April 9, 2007 7:30 AM
  • The files are probably not lost. They are likely still on the drive you removed. There is a known issue with Drive Extender in this beta which results in DE leaving behind files that are stored on a drive. If the files on WHS aren't duplicated, then there's only one copy, on one drive. Because DE actually leaves files in place when you remove a drive through the console, removing the drive afterward results in the tombstones staying behind, but the files they point to vanishing.

Try connecting the drive to another PC and examining the file system. WHS formats drives as standard NTFS, so you should be able to connect it to any other PC.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 11:15 AM
  • is it possible, that the files on the removed drive are stored in other places than shown in the shard folders?
    Friday, April 13, 2007 6:12 PM
  • If you have not reformatted the drive, then they will probably be stored here (assuming the drive is mounted on another PC as D: ) :

D:\DE\shares\<sharename>\fileorfolder\...

where fileorfolder is a file name or a folder path to the file you're looking for. DE is probably going to be a hidden folder.
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 2:41 PM
  • I decided to use my Home Server as a Document management depository.  I created a shared directory and started saving documents in PDF format to this directory.  A couple of days later when I decided to add another document, the directory was no longer there.  I did a search on PDF documents and the search found none.  What do you think happened to my directory?

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:03 PM
  • WHS doesnt just delete directories so here are a couple of questions:

1 - how did you create the directory?

2 - how were you saving files to that directory?

3 - are there any hardware problems showing on your WHS?

Andrew

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:43 PM