Microsoft Money 2007 Home & Business US Edition Password Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I've gone thru many of the threads here in the forum and not sure I understand the solution to a re-install of MS Money 2007 H&B on a new Win 7 Pro computer with my data file & backups back in 

Once I reinstalled MSMoney H&B 2007 v16 from my original downloaded edition. The login screen came up just fine. On install I just created a new empty file to get going. I then browsed to my previous MSMoney.mny data file and was once again back in the logon screen prompting for Email Address & Password. On the previous installation in 2012, I had a username but it was not a MS account. Also, my account did not require a password. However, like others in the forum I cannot open and continually get a prompt to enter a password which I never had one before.

So, before I run off and keep trying some of the theories I found here and on internet searches, I thought I'd check with your community. Best as I can tell, the most promising solution seems to be physically disconnect from the internet and try using the username and no password that I used in 2012.

I'd be happy to provide additional information if I'm missing something important.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions ...

Chuck P.

Saturday, January 9, 2016 6:52 PM

All replies

• 1. Try making a repaired version of your file with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

2. Consider restoring a recent backup (*.mbf).

Is the old computer still available?
    Saturday, January 9, 2016 7:23 PM
  • Cal:

Unfortunately old computer not available, it crashed. What I have is the MS Money 2007 data file (.m16) and a number of backups (.mbf).

As I see it, the problem is that in order to do any of this you have to have a username (email) and password to get in to either do a repair or restoring a backup. The only thing I can seem to get open is the sample.mny without a username or password to get access to the "Repair" or "Restore Backup" . As I said previously, I'm just about positive that I never used a Microsoft account for MS Money and didn't use a password. To further complicate matters, my @hotmail account I've had forever has changed passwords a number of times ... is the password stored/unique in the local data file or is it tied to my MS account to validate ownership?

I've tried to restore a backup and still faced with the same problem of username/password and hesitant to try a file repair unless I know what the possible effects are.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Chuck

Sunday, January 10, 2016 2:27 PM
  • This says that you did have a Microsoft/Live ID on your file. It was apparently being cached, so you had not had to enter it for a good while. I am sorry to hear that you don't remember right now.

I suggest you write down each email address you might have used. Then write down all of the email addresses you might have used. Think of permutations. Keep paper and pencil by your bed in case you think of something to try. Think of all of the places that you may have written down your credentials. Even the passwords for other applications may be useful, since many people will use similar passwords for different applications.

When you have your list, disconnect from the Internet.  Start Money, and try to log in offline. Try all of the permutations you can think of. Write down what worked. We did have one poster succeed in remembering the credentials.

Do not attempt to change your LiveID.  In any case, you will need to use the credentials that were in effect at the time that you saved that Money file. It does not matter if you still have that same email address currently. It matters what it was when you entered it into Money.

If you remembered much of your password, such as knowing that the password was solarflux00000 except that the 00000 was actually an unremembered number from 00000 to 99999, there is a tool that would help you try all of the combinations. But if you remember nothing, you will not get in.

In doing the repair, you should specify that the repaired file should have a different filename from the unrepaired file. You should also have one or more copies of what you have on other media, such as a USB flash drive.

Sunday, January 10, 2016 3:37 PM
  • Cal:

I had only one Microsoft ID (myname@hotmail.com) and still have it, so that is one plus. I used MS Money from about 1997-2007/8 when it was discontinued. (Wish I was still using it instead of Quicken!).

It's been awhile to, but I never recall having to sign into Money with a Microsoft account and didn't use a password.  I never used any of the online features either. As I said, has been awhile and a lot of passwords ago. I've tried a number of the passwords I've used over the years to no avail.

So if I understand you correctly:

1) The password is contained the MSM file and has no connection with what the MS Live, Net Passport, etc. except having to use some type of username that has a microsoft @ email domain?

2) There is no way to do a repair, backup restore or import without a valid username and password?

3) Any of the password tools seen on an internet search are not effective except going through number combinations and aren't able to "guess" any letters or other characters that may have been part of the password?

4) Not sure I understand the rationale for disconnecting from the internet when trying to login thru MS Money?

5) Never tried downloading/using the MSM Sunset Edition. Would that change things in any way?

As an aside, when I switched to Quicken, I used their tool to supposedly import my MSM data. I should gave known better as this is the first time I have gone back to find information that was entered using Quicken and of course that apparently didn't work.

Again, thanks for your help!

Chuck

Sunday, January 10, 2016 6:56 PM
  • 1) There are two kinds of password your file could have had. If you had the conventional password, Money would only have only asked for one bit of info, and not the email address.

2). Sorry. Note that the password part of the pair is case-sensitive. Remember to keep that paper and pencil by the bed.

3) If you know something about the password, see the last post in
    https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9f5519cf-6d04-4379-a806-b317a737ae1a/sunriise-appcheckpasswords-to-attemt-to-open-passwordprotected-file-using-candidate-from-a?forum=money
    Money switched to a stronger passwording system some time before 2005. There was an effective cracker for earlier versions... maybe 2002 was the dividing point. I don't know.  I don't think the strong system does multiple iterations of hashing, which is designed to slow down tries, but it is strong enough that only a trial and error method is going to work. I currently use a program that I have set to do over 26 million repetitions of hashing to slow automated trial-and-error cracking attempts.

4) It was based on an  reports and observations by others. I can't certify that it is needed now, but it won't hurt. I never used that passwording system for Money, so I did not experiment with trying to log in offline myself.

5)It shouldn't. If you felt sure that you did not have a password on your file, I would be tempted to try that. I would not predict that it would help.

Sunday, January 10, 2016 7:33 PM
  • Cal:

Thanks for your thorough response!

Let me take some time to go through your suggestions and the link to try and understand. I guess my question at this point is how does all this relate to a file that a password was not used. Truth is now I'm wondering if I even used a username? I know the last version of the software I used was MSM H&B 2007 if that helps.

Also, don't have any experience using SourceForge programs to use the linked Sunrise project. That said if I read you right, it doesn't appear too promising anyway. What toll are you using?

I think I'll also download the Sunset edition and see if that changes anything.

Thanks,

Chuck

Monday, January 11, 2016 3:12 PM
  • You find that a standard file repair asks you for credentials that include both a password and an email address. Actually, the standard repair invokes a program that is in your Money install folder, called salv.exe.  If you did not have a password of any kind, the salv.exe would not ask for a password. If you had a conventional password (no email), salv.exe would only ask for the password. Salv.exe works across versions at least back through Money 99 and maybe before.

Old versions of Money would ask for a password when they tried opening a file created with a newer version of Money, even if no password had ever been used. I am pretty sure that bogus password request was replaced by an appropriate error message before Money 2007.

Do you have earlier MBF files that you have not tried yet? It may be that your hard drive on the failed computer has a file that could be useful. There are inexpensive adapters that let you connect your old hard drive to your current computer via a USB. Now if they old files had that same credential on it, the recovered file would not happen. Most people got that kind of credential during the creation of the file because the creation dialog guided you in that direction. You actually had to choose Decline on what looked a little similar to a EULA (end user license agreement) during the process.

So what this is leading up to is the expectation that you actually did put a Passport/Live ID/ Microsoft ID on your Money file, and because that credential had been cached, you forgot about that. It is sad to lose that. I hope you find a piece of paper or a file where you recorded such things. I have been inspired to keep extra backup information.

Did you mean tool instead of "toll"? I did play with Sunriise a while back, but not for busting file passwords. I don't have a password on my Money files. On my laptop, I do keep my Money files on an encrypted volume. I also put backups into encrypted files and store the encrypted files on OneDrive for off-site storage. I also use an encrypted password manager.

Monday, January 11, 2016 4:27 PM
  • It is possible that this file is actually from Money 2008. The file has an extension of M16 which indicates that you did a conversion to 2008 at one time, possibly to convert to Quicken. Normally, a file with the extension of .M16 is a 2007 file, but it is possible that you copied the 2008 converted file over the original 2007 saved file. This would explain why Money thinks that the file has a password when you are certain that it should not. This is the typical behavior of Money when you try to open a file converted to a newer version in an older copy of Money.

Download the 2008 Sunset program and try opening the file with that version. You might also want to change the extension to .mny so that the file can be automatically associated properly, and won't confuse the issue. See both "sticky" posts, one to get the location of the download if you don't know it, and the other to get the updated mnyob99.dll patch.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Monday, January 11, 2016 11:30 PM