Boot WHS recovery from USB flash drive instead of using CD-ROM RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone is sucessful in using UCB flash drive instead of CD-ROM for WHS recovery procedure?

Here is a link to the method to set it up.

I tried this with WHS installation disk and it worked well.

However I tried this method with WHS recovery CD without success. I tried several types USB drives including 1GB, 2GB and 4GB. I also tried using external USB drive (HDD). All failed in booting WHS recobery CD. The error message is something like ‘In order to protect Windows, the system will be shutdown …’ during the boot of the recovery CD.

The reason I want to use that is because I have several HTPC without CD-ROMs and I really don't want open the cover of the HTPC and plug-in a CD-ROM just for recovery. I do recovery often because of driver issues these days. I have probably done three times of the recovery from WHS in the last two months.

I am not asking for any alternative method. I am just asking whether yo have been sucessful in using USB drive for WHS recovery? If yes, what kind of USB drive you used?

Thanks!

Sunday, February 22, 2009 5:49 PM

Answers

• It turns out that this worked for me. I am happy now.
    • Marked as answer by Dcdyd Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:31 PM
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:30 PM

All replies

• It is possible. I have a USB drive that I can use on some computers to boot the Recovery CD. (The computer has to support booting from USB in the first place.) It's a cheap Lexar flash drive, and (I think) I formatted it using a tool from HP. but other than that I really can't give you a lot of specifics.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:38 PM
  • It turns out that this worked for me. I am happy now.
    • Marked as answer by Dcdyd Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:31 PM
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:30 PM