none
"Old" MCTS still worth? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all.

Do you think that taking a MCTS exam targeting .NET Framework 4.0 development is still worth the effort? I was thinking about taking both the 70-511 and 70-515 exams: both of them are scheduled for retirement on July 31th, but the technologies they're related to are still "alive", supported and widely used.
    What do you think about this?

Bye

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, February 17, 2014 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think that the 70-511 and 70-515 exams still hold a lot of value. None of the Visual Studio 2012/2013 exams cover "classic" Windows desktop application development. It has been a while since I took these exams, but I do remember them being fair but challenging.

Microsoft is working on making Windows 8 more "friendly" to enterprise applications, but a lot of enterprises are still building classic desktop applications. I do not think that this will change too quickly.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Monday, February 17, 2014 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

I think that the 70-511 and 70-515 exams still hold a lot of value. None of the Visual Studio 2012/2013 exams cover "classic" Windows desktop application development. It has been a while since I took these exams, but I do remember them being fair but challenging.

Microsoft is working on making Windows 8 more "friendly" to enterprise applications, but a lot of enterprises are still building classic desktop applications. I do not think that this will change too quickly.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Thank you, Mike.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, February 17, 2014 2:35 PM
  • Hi All,

I too want to sit for the 70-515, but when I go to schedule it via prometric, it says I'll be tested using Visual Studio 2012 and not Visual Studio 2010. Is this correct ?

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:53 AM
  • Hi All,

I too want to sit for the 70-515, but when I go to schedule it via prometric, it says I'll be tested using Visual Studio 2012 and not Visual Studio 2010. Is this correct ?

The exam 70-515 targets developing web applications with the .NET Framework 4, not using a specific version of Visual Studio (even if .NET Framework 4 development started with Visual Studio 2010).
    The Microsoft Learning web site's page for the exam 70-515 indicates Microsoft Visual Studio 2012.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:24 AM