Full Backup RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have used One Care for a year, doing incremental backups to an external drive.  that drive is now full.  so i have purchased a much larger external drive and want to do a full backup to it, then do incremental backups.  however, one care will not let me do a full backup to the new drive.  i have changed my backup plan to indicate the new drive and even turned off and on backup for my pc.  how can I do a full backup to the new drive?
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:47 AM

All replies

• What happens when you try to do a backup to the new drive?

Have you tried resetting the plan completely:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:59 PM
  • As I mentioned in my original posting, I turned backup on and off.  But the backup to the new drive was only incremental.
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I wanted to confirm that you saved the settings between the changes. How do you know that it was incremental following the switch of drives? I suspect that it was a full backup per the plan since the destination was new and a folder for backup needed to be created when backup ran. OneCare can't do an incremental backup to a blank device. In fact, I would expect backup to balk about not finding the backup device had you not reconfigured backup by resetting the plan. Upon doing this, the next backup is full.

-steve

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:59 PM
  • I too am having the same problem. 

I have my Vista laptop which has about 90gig worth of content.

I bought a new 750gig external drive for my backups.

I followed the instructions above to the letter.

I unchecked the box in the setup screen and saved.

I went back into the setup screen, rechecked the box, and changed the path from my dead network drive

to the new f:\ external drive.

When I selected <start backup> a note came across the screen saying that One Care saves space by only backing the files which have changed.  Also, the backup for 90gig was only 9 gig in size!

How can I be sure that it did a full backup?

Friday, September 5, 2008 11:05 AM
  •  kjpetriel wrote:

I too am having the same problem. 

I have my Vista laptop which has about 90gig worth of content.

I bought a new 750gig external drive for my backups.

I followed the instructions above to the letter.

I unchecked the box in the setup screen and saved.

I went back into the setup screen, rechecked the box, and changed the path from my dead network drive

to the new f:\ external drive.

When I selected <start backup> a note came across the screen saying that One Care saves space by only backing the files which have changed.  Also, the backup for 90gig was only 9 gig in size!

How can I be sure that it did a full backup?

Note that your 90 gigs of space used on the drive includes program files, settings, windows files, temp files and many others that are not being backed up. To review what was backed up, use the Restore wizard to select the backup and see what is available for restore. Since it is a new backup to a new drive, there should be a reference to this backup only.

-steve

Friday, September 5, 2008 12:59 PM
  • Now I am sure there is a problem!!!!!

I just reviewed the backup log... Only 6600 files were backed up.

Nothing from the windows directory, no systems drivers, and no programs which had been installed before my last full backup.

The backup files were mostly mp3s and programs I've installed recently.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 5:14 PM
  • msalamon22 is right about enough backups is enough.  I want to do a full backup about once every month or two and then incrementals a few times a week after that, so that if I do have to reinstall my files someday I only have one full and the incrementals done since my latest full to restore.   Doing a new full should not be so complicated - there should just be an option to choose or a schedule which allows a new full periodically.   Don't you agree?  That would allow me to delete an old full and the incrementals between it and the next full without losing anything and without filling my drive.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 6:05 PM
  •  kjpetriel wrote:

Now I am sure there is a problem!!!!!
    I just reviewed the backup log... Only 6600 files were backed up.
    Nothing from the windows directory, no systems drivers, and no programs which had been installed before my last full backup.
    The backup files were mostly mp3s and programs I've installed recently.

OneCare will *never* backup system files, drivers and program files. It only backs up data per the plan selection you configure. It will never look for files needing backup in \Windows or \Program Files.
    -steve
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:16 PM
  •  brokeitagain wrote:
    msalamon22 is right about enough backups is enough.  I want to do a full backup about once every month or two and then incrementals a few times a week after that, so that if I do have to reinstall my files someday I only have one full and the incrementals done since my latest full to restore.   Doing a new full should not be so complicated - there should just be an option to choose or a schedule which allows a new full periodically.   Don't you agree?  That would allow me to delete an old full and the incrementals between it and the next full without losing anything and without filling my drive.

Normally, starting a new backup - a full backup - is not complicated and should work fine.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Ok then... What is the definition of a "FULL BACKUP?"

To me, if I do a full backup, and then do incrimentals then if the hard drive smokes, I drop a new hard drive,  Restore the full backup, and the incrimentals and I am back to the day it crashed.

Loosing nothing!!!  Much of the software I have, I paid for and downloaded.  I never got disks.  It was never given the option to create them.   Why would I need to... I was using live one to back them up.... or so I thought.

So IF my drive crashes after I do a live-one "Full backup" I loose those programs???? and the registry...

Not to mention that I am a software engineer, and alot of MY programs are on here.  I didn't see those backed up either.

This does NOT sound very useful to me.

Until right now, I have been pretty happy with live-one.

Monday, September 15, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Steve I think you are missing our point. We want a FULL SYSTEM BACKUP!  A Mirror, or ghost copy of our drives. So if we lose our drive's to a disaster. Like I just did! We dont have to spend three days updating windows, and reinstalling all of our programs, software, their updates, cleaning all the *** out of the restore program, run more programs to clean all the left overs on the drive, and defragging. Just to be able to reload our saved data from the external drive. By using the words FULL BACKUP we all mean THE WHOLE DRIVE, and partions. EVERYTHING on the drive. Hench the word "FULL". Know can onecare do it or not?? Vista can only do it on its upgraded versions, and most external drives only come with file back up software. Low end *** you can do by just dragging, and dropping to the drive. So can the Onecare backup we all paid for do a real FULL SYSTEM BACKUP, or do we all have to shell out more money to get another windows program like ghost etc, or upgrade to a pro version OS?? That is my problem, and I believe every other post here's problem as well. FULL SYSYTEM BACKUP?? YES OR NO! 

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:19 PM
  •  

I think we are being ignored at this point.  A couple of posts earlier I think he answered our question.

Live one doesn't do what we want.

I wonder if Live-one would peacefully coexist with norton ghost?

Also Norton System Works Premier is able to do everythin live-one can do, and it does the initial ghost.

But it costs $100 up front then $80/yr. $30 more a year than live one.

Ghost is about $70 and has no subscription fee.

-Kevin

Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:04 AM
  • kevin I had used Nortons system works up until last year. That is when Norton started pushing 360, and internet security. At the time the only way I could get all the features that the earlier versions of system works had was with primier which could only be download from there web site. After reading there forums I opted out. There was at that time many bugs in the new software transfer. After using Nortons forever, and very pleased. I had had maybe 2 or 3 system crashs a year with all windows versions, and Nortons had saved the day every time. With Ghost, and basic file backup ( which I believe all Onecare can do!). I was back up, and running within a hour. Not days of constant updates, and restarts. Just one, or two  restarts a reformat, and a copy of my FULL SYSTEM BACKUP DRIVE, and then quickly transfering my incremental files I backed up every day. That is all I want With Onecare a windows product. If I dont get that option, or a update I would be happy to pay for so I am only using one companys software. I would not run both softwares, and take a risk of a conflict. That said it is no longer a option for me staying with oncare. Good luck Kevin. Bob! 

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:00 AM
  • You can get system works premier in disk now.  Also, I spoke to the people at symantec and they said that Norton Save & Restore is the same as ghost except you can't backup over the network or to an FTP site.

When you read save & restore reviews, I guess version 1 was REALLY BUGGY, but version 2 seems to get 3 1/2 stars our of 5.   Oh yea, Save & Restore will be the ghost backup of the system as well.

The thing is, Ghost 14 is available on ebay for like $30.

Also according the symantec, they don't know of any incompatability between these packages and live-ones virus protection.

I think I'm just going to go with primier and drop live-one.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:49 PM
  •  kjpetriel wrote:

Ok then... What is the definition of a "FULL BACKUP?"

I've not ignored you, but I've not been in the forums for over a week and am just now working my way through the topic folders.

You've learned that a "full backup" in OneCare means that it is a complete backup of the *data* files as selected in the backup configuration. It is not an image backup and there are restrictions as to what can be backed up and from where.

To answer a later part of the thread, you can certainly use a 3rd party product to perform an image backup if that is what you desire, but the design of OneCare is for the typical user that doesn't need a full system backup. They need their data backed up. Those of us who want more, will do as I do - turn off OneCare backup and use an alternative solution.

-steve

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:03 PM