Help with Server Reinstallation RRS feed

• Question

• Something happened to my Home Server install...I'm guessing it was a Windows Update or something. Out of the blue, I noticed my shares weren't available Come to find out I have a BSOD saying the registry couldn't load the hive. I tried everything (including multiple chkdsk operations) to recover but it was screwed up. So I tried to do a server reinstallation and it was working on that and got to the point where it restarts itself in the middle of the install and now it wants me to start the install process again and there is NO server reinstallation option! What is going on here???

Oh BTW...I'm using a flash drive to do the install because I don't have a CD drive in this PC. 

Saturday, July 31, 2010 1:54 PM

All replies

• Something happened to my Home Server install...I'm guessing it was a Windows Update or something. Out of the blue, I noticed my shares weren't available Come to find out I have a BSOD saying the registry couldn't load the hive. I tried everything (including multiple chkdsk operations) to recover but it was screwed up. So I tried to do a server reinstallation and it was working on that and got to the point where it restarts itself in the middle of the install and now it wants me to start the install process again and there is NO server reinstallation option! What is going on here???

Oh BTW...I'm using a flash drive to do the install because I don't have a CD drive in this PC. 

Once a Server Reinstallation fails, you won't get it again until you get rid of all traces of the failed installation on that partition.  You can try formatting the 20 GB partition and see if that works.  If not, you can use diskpart on that 20 GB partition to get rid of everything related to that partition.  Just be careful with diskpart as there are no confirmation dialog boxes and one wrong command can wipe out the wrong partition (in this case, the data partition where some/all of your data is stored).
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:43 PM