Anti Virus Software For WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Besides Avast Is anyone else using different AV software ie. The Shield Delux 2010? All the topics I read on this are from 2007!  Any links to latter threads would be much appreciated. And I apologize if this is a question that has been beat to death!

Thanx

Mark G

Mark G
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 11:34 PM

All replies

• Besides Avast Is anyone else using different AV software ie. The Shield Delux 2010? All the topics I read on this are from 2007!  Any links to latter threads would be much appreciated. And I apologize if this is a question that has been beat to death!

Thanx

Mark G

Mark G

I guess this link http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/db50643a-b524-4455-ad3e-332774570e0c might help, would love it if MSE wa to be supported in WHS. I think A***t is stinky.
    Mark G
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:22 AM
  • Eset's NOD32 is running nicely on my server.  It was installed as explained here: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2212

I understand, but haven't tried, that the new MSE can be installed the same way on V1 or 2 and works.  Neither are standard add-ins.

Manny Carvalho MS MVP Windows
    Friday, September 24, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Eset's NOD32 is running nicely on my server.  It was installed as explained here: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2212

I understand, but haven't tried, that the new MSE can be installed the same way on V1 or 2 and works.  Neither are standard add-ins.

Thanks for the reply Manny, I think I will wait a little bit and see what MS does with SE, if it will offically support WHS, (Any heavy Hitters For MS care to weigh in be my guest!) it would make sense to have it work with the WHS file system, I use it on all my machines and like it! But if not I am afraid I might be stuck in the vast.....I mean avast mudhole. As far as NOD, I would rather have a little more  integration into the console...I know use avast right? I had it for a year or two and they have messed up my licensing and they have very  poor support among other things.
    Mark G
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:00 AM

Please see the sticky at the top of this forum that talks about installing MSE on WHS.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:23 AM

Thanx

Mark G

Mark G
    The only other one I know of is from F-Secure.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:24 AM

Please see the sticky at the top of this forum that talks about installing MSE on WHS.
    The sticky is about the old beta. I wasn't referring to that. Beta 2 apparently works: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/23103/install-microsoft-security-essentials-2.0-beta-on-windows-home-server-vail/ details how it installs

Saturday, September 25, 2010 5:15 AM
  • ... I understand, but haven't tried, that the new MSE can be installed the same way on V1 or 2 and works.  Neither are standard add-ins.

Look up at the top of the forum at the sticky where you are warned against doing that, please...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:27 PM
  • ... I understand, but haven't tried, that the new MSE can be installed the same way on V1 or 2 and works.  Neither are standard add-ins.

Look up at the top of the forum at the sticky where you are warned against doing that, please...

Anybody?

We are still waiting for this ur1 or what ever they are going to call it correct? Or It was installed already, I do have Auto updates enabled.

I see KB979453 or is it KB2124261.

Mark G
    • Edited by Lunker 1 Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:27 AM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 4:36 PM

Anybody?

We are still waiting for this ur1 or what ever they are going to call it correct? Or It was installed already, I do have Auto updates enabled.

I see KB979453 or is it KB2124261.

Mark G

The Stickey Thread for the Beta MSE & the Roll up for WHS is very confusing to me, has the roll up been deployed? I would like to give MSE a shot on my server, but if I understand I need to wait for this update?  Am I shootin blanks or did I hit something?  Thanx.
    Mark G
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:36 AM
  • Update Rollup 1 has been released; among other things it corrects an issue related to Microsoft Security Essentials and certain other AV products. However, Microsoft Security Essentials beta is still not supported on Windows Home Server.
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Update Rollup 1 has been released; among other things it corrects an issue related to Microsoft Security Essentials and certain other AV products. However, Microsoft Security Essentials beta is still not supported on Windows Home Server.

Thank You Ken,

Is there a way to verify it was installed?

Mark G
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Thank You Ken,

Is there a way to verify it was installed?

Mark G
    You can tell by the component numbers in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab).  Windows Home Server Storage Manager should be 6.0.3039.0.
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 12:48 AM