problem with 'genuine microsoft software' RRS feed

• Question

• I AM USING WINDOES XP
    when i once updated my pc as it recommended I have done it many a times.
     But that time it downloaded 'genuine microsoft software' which i do not need. Due to which my walpaper turned as black screen & its also giving me a message-"you might be a victim of software counterfeiting" Its also telling to save a file to complete download.
    wht should i do to uninstall it.
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:28 PM off topic for mse (From:Microsoft Security Essentials: Getting Started and Upgrading)
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:35 AM

Answers

• Hello Arun B,

Please use this link here ,

You will most likely have to do this

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start , point to All Programs , point to Accessories , point to System Tools , and then click Activate Windows .

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
    2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now .
    3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement , click Back , and then click Next .
    4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next .

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK .
      You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.
    Thanks,

jlluitj
    Josh Luitjens - Self-taught computer tech.
    • Proposed as answer by jlluitj Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen BootsMVP Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:28 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hello Arun B,

Please use this link here ,

You will most likely have to do this

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start , point to All Programs , point to Accessories , point to System Tools , and then click Activate Windows .

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
    2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now .
    3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement , click Back , and then click Next .
    4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next .

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK .
      You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.
    Thanks,

jlluitj
    Josh Luitjens - Self-taught computer tech.
    • Proposed as answer by jlluitj Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen BootsMVP Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:28 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:31 AM
  • Hello Arun B,

Please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the full Product Key that may be printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:10 PM