WHS Console on the server machine would not open RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed a WHS OEM version that I bought from newegg. Installation of the home server went fine without any problem, installed the drive for my system, installed the symatec endpoint version 11.0.  Without realizing my system date and time is out of sync (had a wrong date) after I corrected the date and time, I updated my symantec endpoint and I did windows updated and everything installed fine. Restart the machine. After installing all the update I could not longer open the WHS Console on the home server itself. Before I install the update I could open the WHS Console on home server machine. Not sure if the Symantec Endpoint update or Windows Update broke the WHS Console for being able to open.

Does anybody have any idea or suggestion?   Is my first on this forum please excuse me if I somehow did this wrong.  
    Friday, April 10, 2009 4:46 PM

Answers

• Symantec Endpoint is not, as far as I know, designed for use on Windows Home Server. I would try removing it and installing an antivirus solution that's designed for that use. The two that I'm aware of that are currently avaialble are fSecure and avast!
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 10, 2009 6:30 PM

All replies

• Symantec Endpoint is not, as far as I know, designed for use on Windows Home Server. I would try removing it and installing an antivirus solution that's designed for that use. The two that I'm aware of that are currently avaialble are fSecure and avast!
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 10, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Ken -- Actually the .NET framework 2.0 is the causing of the issue. I try running the repair from the Control Panel -> Add and Remove program but it not working, I try to remove the .Net framework 2.0 but is also tell me that some program are using it and could not be remove. I bought a new hard drive-WD 320gb which the one I try to use but it's what they call dirty hard drive which mean everytime you boot the machine before go to log on screen it does checkdisk causing for the .NET framework 2.0 to be currupted. I'm now using another hard drive, did the reinstallation and it's now working fine.

Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.0 does work on Windows Home Server, you just have to do a some configuration change. So far what I've configure is the port it using such TCP 445 and also zero day protection is off as default. There are also few AntiVirus and Firewall other than FSecure and Avast that work with WHS. Thanks for your respond and help..

Sunday, April 12, 2009 12:59 AM