I've tried everything...still can't validate vista! RRS feed

• Question

• My computer has recently started acting nuts. It keeps telling me I may have a corrupt version of windows. I don't. I bought the program with the computer from Dell. I've been looking through the discussions here all morning, trying EVERYTHING to fix the problem. NOTHING is working! I keep getting error code after error code. I've tried the command prompt window and I got "System Error 5". I've tried to restart the service licence and I got "0x80070005, access denied". The computer will not let me run as an administrator. Other codes I have gotten are...0x80070426 and 800A0046.

Windows defender is not working (updating), Windows Updates will not update, Windows Media Center stopped it's sharing service, and my command box will not come up. Oh, I can not get the computer to work with my printer anymore either. Everything was fine for 2 years...now all this?

Any thoughts?
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:29 PM

Answers

• Hello Jayville,

n order to recieve the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:
    1) Login to Vista and Click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.
    2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.
    3) A window will come up asking if you want to Run or Save, Select Run
    4) When the program runs, Click the Continue button, then click the Copy button.
    5) Return to this thread by Typing: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/069738c0-7412-4702-bc91-13021ec8a04finto the browser address bar.
    6) In a reply post, Paste the Diagnostic Report.

In addition, please go into more detail on exact error messages and what you have already tried.

"keeps telling me I may have a corrupt version of windows" Is the error message actually saying the word "Corrupt"?
    "tried the command prompt window and I got "System Error 5"."  What commands did you try in the Command Prompt?
     "I've tried to restart the service licence and I got "0x80070005, access denied"." How did you try to start the service?
    "Other codes I have gotten are...0x80070426 and 800A0046."  when? where? what was occuring (and/or what were you doing) at the time these errors appeared

Lastly, have you changed anything in the computer recently (added or removed any software or hardware)?

Thanks,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:27 PM