Firewall shutdown RRS feed

• Question

•  

Why does OneCare say my status is "Good" and my Firewall is "On," while at the same time, my Windows Vista Defender Firewall has turned itself "Off?"

Saturday, January 5, 2008 4:54 AM

Answers

• The commonly stated reason is that 'you can only have one firewall', because two will conflct, so OneCare disables the built-in Windows firewall on both Windows Vista and XP.

The real reason is a bit more complex, but comes down to the fact that the OneCare and Vista firewalls are really the same thing, something called the 'Windows Filtering Platform' (WFP), and the 'firewalls' are really simply configurations that control this WFP API (Application Programming Interface).

So basically, it would be like having two bosses each with their own different set of rules telling one worker what to do. You can imagine the results with two different sets of instructions being given, the poor worker will try to resolve the two, but eventually the instructions will start to conflict. Then the results will become unpredictible and possibly even fail completely.

So to resolve this the OneCare installation process simply disables the built-in Vista configuration and replaces it with its own, as do all third-party firewalls.

OneCareBear

Saturday, January 5, 2008 5:17 AM