Why No Media Center? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the true reason for not including Windows Media Extender abilities with WHS 2011? Extending to my XBOX 360 is a major part of our entertainment system. I had strongly considered using WHS 2011 but not having this feature is a showstopper for me. Is it because the extender may cause stability issues with the server? Just wondering...
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 12:52 PM

Answers

• You wil have to ask Micrsoft.
    But I think the main reason is there is no Media Center functionality for Windows Server 2008.

However, as WHS 2011 support DNLA you will be able to stream your media to DNLA compliant devices like the XBOX.
    If you want Media Center you will need a dedicated Media Center system (e.g. a PC runninhg Windows 7).

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Brian Wolters Monday, April 11, 2011 6:33 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:54 AM

All replies

• You wil have to ask Micrsoft.
    But I think the main reason is there is no Media Center functionality for Windows Server 2008.

However, as WHS 2011 support DNLA you will be able to stream your media to DNLA compliant devices like the XBOX.
    If you want Media Center you will need a dedicated Media Center system (e.g. a PC runninhg Windows 7).

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Brian Wolters Monday, April 11, 2011 6:33 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:54 AM
  • I guess that makes sense...my Windows 7 desktop works just fine as it is sharing files and streaming via Windows Media Center Extender...I really have no real need to use WHS then...thanks for clearing that up.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 6:33 PM