my xp suddenly needs reactivating- and i dont have any disks / numbers RRS feed

• Question

• hi - hope someone can help.

i've had home xp on a laptop for years - all working well

suddenly i switch it on and it says its needs reactivating and all i get is the screen needing the register / cd key. i no longer have any disks or stickers and the telephone "help" says it does no recognise the long number i type in and hangs up. i have used an app that can look for the reg key on the pc (run from IE) but the pc will not recognise this when i type it into the activation screen. i have looked at register / cd keys on th web from another pc but they dont work.

how can i get into my locked up pc!

thanks all

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:22 PM

Answers

• thanks for that.... it is certainly a reputable laptop and instalation. Dixons is (was) a big retailer in the UK - but I think have pretty much disappeared now. There is no chance of getting any disks or numbers from them - even if they did exist the chances of finding a helful human are zero.

I do have the remains of a sticker on the bottom of the laptop but cant read the numbers.

It seems mad that all I need is a number to unlock software that should never of locked up - that I paid good money for and it now seems I'm stuffed. The company who bang on about pirate software (MSoft) I think should be able to help me use their legitmate product. 

I loose my hard drive all for the sake of not being able to read a sticker?

grump over - many thanks - guess I'm stuffed - time to go apple?

OK, some of my research prior to posting showed that DixonsXP possibly was a UK company but since I could not find any web site for it I wasn't sure.

You may be able to get some assistance from Microsoft (but due to the age of the computer and OS I would doubt it) by using the information in this (or an equivalent UK (see change at the top of the page)) web site:

How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, and replace product manuals

Unfortunately my usual source for "out of support systems" for disk replacement doesn't recognize the manufacturing company so they can't help.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:25 PM

All replies

• i belive this text will be usefull....?

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-X6JKM-G3C24-K2QYW
    Windows Product Key Hash: hgilwO0syBfJYWJqlYGOlfrw/B8=
    Windows Product ID: 76488-OEM-2211906-00839
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.med
    ID: {C8D77068-A7BA-4F77-B2AB-9F10A107E9FE}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_B4D0AA8B-604-645_B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{C8D77068-A7BA-4F77-B2AB-9F10A107E9FE}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.med</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-K2QYW</PKey><PID>76488-OEM-2211906-00839</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-260217964-4261444049-3465222966</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Intel Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Calistoga &amp; ICH7M Chipset</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>D3B64                         </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20060719000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>DIXONSXP,DIXONSXP</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>FF073807018400EE</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Advent</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>825A218E04C26D6</Val><Hash>tLeXaeq23meXKod2+fuhQP3ECec=</Hash><Pid>81599-875-4913657-65915</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1E840:Gateway, Inc|14266:GENUINE C&C INC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: DIXONSXP,DIXONSXP

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Someone else may be able to post more but the Product Key shown above is for XP Media Center edition (not home) and is an OEM for a "DixonsXP" computer system, whatever that system is.  The bios shows that you have an Intel Motherboard and the bios marker string shows a Gateway computer.

Media Center editions only came as an OEM version on a manufacturer's computer and as it is OEM it can not legally be transferred to any other computer (read motherboard.) If you never received any rebuild disks for the computer that is another indication that the operating system is not "legal."

If this operating system came on the computer then there should be an OEM product key sticker on outside or bottom (the chipset shows that it is a mobile chipset so normally placed in a laptop) of the computer case.  If you don't have a sticker (or remanents of one) you don't have a valid license for this version of XP.

If this came with the computer and you purchased it from a reputable supplier then you need to go back to that supplier to obtain replacement media.  The product key you found with the keyfinder program should have matched the 15 characters showing in the report above.  It can't be used to activate a computer.  It is used to "self-activate" an OEM installation when the bios and operating system key's match.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:24 AM
  • thanks for that.... it is certainly a reputable laptop and instalation. Dixons is (was) a big retailer in the UK - but I think have pretty much disappeared now. There is no chance of getting any disks or numbers from them - even if they did exist the chances of finding a helful human are zero.

I do have the remains of a sticker on the bottom of the laptop but cant read the numbers.

It seems mad that all I need is a number to unlock software that should never of locked up - that I paid good money for and it now seems I'm stuffed. The company who bang on about pirate software (MSoft) I think should be able to help me use their legitmate product. 

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:47 AM

OK, some of my research prior to posting showed that DixonsXP possibly was a UK company but since I could not find any web site for it I wasn't sure.

You may be able to get some assistance from Microsoft (but due to the age of the computer and OS I would doubt it) by using the information in this (or an equivalent UK (see change at the top of the page)) web site:

How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, and replace product manuals

Unfortunately my usual source for "out of support systems" for disk replacement doesn't recognize the manufacturing company so they can't help.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Hello specktor,

You can try the following command to re-arm the activation grace period, which if it works, will allow you time to offload any valuable data/files/email/pics/etc from the hard disk drive of the computer.

If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, run this to re-arm XP activation:

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

[The command must be typed exacly as above with space, caps, and comma.]

Of course this is only a bandaid to help you preserve your data.  As LVTravel posted, the operating system currently installed on your Gateway is not the OS that it is licensed for.  The installed OS comes from an OEM SLP license which is valid only on a Dixon's computer.

I understand your situation is that you no longer have the Gateway recovey discs for this computer, and that the product key printed on the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the bottom of the computer is unreadable due to wear.  Can you make out anything on the CoA, such as the manufacturer's name or perhaps the edition of XP (Home, Pro, Media Center, etc)?

If you cannot make out the product key, then there are only two solutions which can yield a genuine installation of Windows on this computer:

1.  Contact Gateway and order a set of recovery discs for this model of laptop.

2.  Purchase a full retail copy of the Windows version of your choice and install.

Friday, March 11, 2011 11:53 PM
  • Hello specktor,

You can try the following command to re-arm the activation grace period, which if it works, will allow you time to offload any valuable data/files/email/pics/etc from the hard disk drive of the computer.

If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, run this to re-arm XP activation:

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

[The command must be typed exacly as above with space, caps, and comma.]

Of course this is only a bandaid to help you preserve your data.  As LVTravel posted, the operating system currently installed on your Gateway is not the OS that it is licensed for.  The installed OS comes from an OEM SLP license which is valid only on a Dixon's computer.

I understand your situation is that you no longer have the Gateway recovey discs for this computer, and that the product key printed on the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the bottom of the computer is unreadable due to wear.  Can you make out anything on the CoA, such as the manufacturer's name or perhaps the edition of XP (Home, Pro, Media Center, etc)?

If you cannot make out the product key, then there are only two solutions which can yield a genuine installation of Windows on this computer:

1.  Contact Gateway and order a set of recovery discs for this model of laptop.

2.  Purchase a full retail copy of the Windows version of your choice and install.

Dan, I don�??t think this is a Gateway computer, or at least has the original motherboard in it.  The "Manufacturer>Intel Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Calistoga &amp; ICH7M Chipset" seems to indicate that the motherboard was replaced sometime in the past.  While the bios is of the age for an XP computer I have never seen a genuine, unmodified Gateway computer with this type of Intel motherboard.  I have a feeling that Dixon or Genuine C & C Inc got a defective computer, changed out the motherboard and applied a hack to get the OEM XP to operate.  The "GENUINE C&C INC" in the report is a Chinese company. This is a really weird report and I was hoping Darin saw it and see if he could decipher it better than I.

Sspecktor, what type of identification is located on the computer as to make?  Any model information listed anywhere?

Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Hi LVTravel,

I was going by the Gateway reference in the BIOS section of the report:

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1E840:Gateway, Inc|14266:GENUINE C&C INC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: DIXONSXP,DIXONSXP

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Sunday, March 13, 2011 3:15 AM