UPS used wtih client clarification RRS feed

• Question

• Somewhere I read NOT to use a UPS as a power source for a client. I understand the UPS will somehow disable the backup function in WHS for that client.

My question:

Is it the UPS client software that interrupts the backup, or is it the UPS power source itself? I understand that UPS's modify the power signal/wave, and that might be it, or maybe it's the UPS software running on the client.

My goal would be to run the client on the UPS without the UPS software installed (if it messes with the backup). That would at least allow the client to run awhile on battery backup...and perhaps the power would return before the battery ran out.

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can offer.

Jason
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:23 PM

Answers

• If the client is connected to the UPS, it will be treated like a notebook on battery. I would imagine, that the software is the reason, but I cannot test due to no availibility of an UPS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by MtnLover Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:02 PM

All replies

• If the client is connected to the UPS, it will be treated like a notebook on battery. I would imagine, that the software is the reason, but I cannot test due to no availibility of an UPS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:58 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:02 PM
  • Danke, Olaf. That''s kinda what I was thinking.
    • Unmarked as answer by MtnLover Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:49 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:08 PM