Voice or Video over Natted connection? RRS feed

• Question

• Technet,

Does anyone know if/how 07 beta can handle the peer to peer connections over a natted connection.  This was supposed to be implemented in 07 and it was the MAIN reason I didn't purchase 05.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

I have had voice and video working perfectly over a NAT'd ADSL connection at home.  To take this one step further, not only was my rig configured for NAT, it was being port address translated.   As long as your firewall rules are configured as per the deployment guide then it is possible.

Whether or not its a support configuration is another issue as the deployment guide clearly states that you need a publically routable IP address.  I guess you would be OK if you are simply building a test environment.

Thanks,

Simon.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 6:42 AM

All replies

• How is this not known?  This was a big announcement pre 07's beta release.
    Friday, April 27, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Hi Dan,

I have had voice and video working perfectly over a NAT'd ADSL connection at home.  To take this one step further, not only was my rig configured for NAT, it was being port address translated.   As long as your firewall rules are configured as per the deployment guide then it is possible.

Whether or not its a support configuration is another issue as the deployment guide clearly states that you need a publically routable IP address.  I guess you would be OK if you are simply building a test environment.

Thanks,

Simon.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 6:42 AM
  • For this to work over natted connections you will have to put your edge server on a publically routable IP address.

And it works fine...

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 9:09 PM
  • Thats not entirely true, I had the Edge Server on a non routable address and then NAT'd to it from my router using port forwarding.  Since then I have changed the IP on the external interface to a publically routable IP address and it works in exactly the same way.

I guess its mentioned in the documentation as using a non routable IP address is not a supported configuration.

Simon.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:49 AM
  • Sorry but i have a big problem on OCS publication.

What do you mean for "public routable IP Adress"

I have a isa server 2004 but for me is impossible to configure it, for voice comunication.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 3:45 PM
  • Currently it is.  Else I couldn't have my outside sales guys join my test situation.  The firewall ports are opened as I was instructed to do so by the manual.  One day I'd like to be able to have phone/chat/video/desktop sharing working for all internal employees so I can help my users without phyiscally moving or using a different app.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 8:12 PM