Best Practice, naming conventions and Ownership of accounts NEWBIE RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi Guru's please be gentle with me, I'm a sales manager in the UK and have been asked to check for best practices in naming accounts and who should own accounts in CRM 2011?For example I have Accounts with several sites and many contacts? How should I name these and who should own these? The office manager or the sales account manager that handles sales directly?

Please help, I'm getting stressed. I think these are very simple for such a bunch of super gurus...

Friday, March 13, 2015 1:45 PM

All replies

• Hello iBrummie,

Regarding the Accounts and their sites, you can always use accounts and sub-accounts. To achieve this you should create the main Account in CRM and afterwards you can create the sites using the account entity as well and afterwards linking them with the main account using the "Parent Account" lookup field.

About the ownership, CRM's security model works essentially with:

• Business Units
    • Teams
    • Users
    • Security Roles

This depends entirely on the way your company works but what I would do (assuming that the accounts information is shareable in your company) is to make the sales accounts the owners of the records and provide read/write access at a business unit level to the office managers.

Here is some more info on the matter: 

Security concepts for Microsoft Dynamics CRM

How role-based security can be used to control access to entities in Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Please mark as answer if I managed to help you.

Regards,

Pedro

Monday, March 16, 2015 2:10 PM