none
InPlaceHostingManager .NET 2.0 Memory Leak RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am having one headache of a problem regarding InPlaceHostingManager.

I use the InPlaceHostingManager to download the manifest of a clickOnce application. This is done to just to check if the ClickOnce application has been published properly to the specific URL. Once I finish my checking I use Dispose() method and then set the instance to null as stated in the .NET MSDN documentation.

Now interestingly enough in .NET 2.0 SP1 the resources are released properly. But if I am to run this on .NET 2.0 then resources are not release!

I hear you saying so whats the deal? just install .net 2.0 SP1 in all deployment machines! True, nice suggestion but I would not like to do that since that means installing it in every single machine without testing its incompatibilities with other .NET apps.  More importantly I would like to know why and if there is a work around?

I also tried to start the assembly doing the testing in a separate AppDomain, but still memory does not get released when the AppDomain is unloaded.

Your suggestion, sarcasm all are welcome

/Suranga

New .net dev
    • Moved by SamAgain Monday, August 9, 2010 7:36 AM not CLR specific (From:Common Language Runtime)
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:06 PM

All replies