none
My Threads problems not fixed RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried to use My Threads again after the last patch.  Problems are much the same, it takes hours for a response to show up, some threads refuse to get filtered by the Unread filter.  The big wad of migrated threads that were clogging up the page are getting filtered though. 

It is still not usable to keep conversations going.  Disappointing.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:03 PM

Answers

• We just ran the data fix and the data updates from that shard has caught up.  Can you report back if you still see discrepancy?
    Ram T - Forums Dev
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:18 PM
  • We rolled out an update the aggregator job to make it more robust.  This problem has been fixed.  Can you please go to your My Threads page and see if this post shows up? 
    Ram T - Forums Dev
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:06 PM
  • There is a known issue where moving some threads across some forums will not update the My Threads. This should be resolved in our next update coming soon. At that point, activity in these problem threads should resolve the problem on a thread by thread basis.  We are considering a fix to the data for moved threads for the past couple of weeks (the time frame the moved/my threads issue would impact) but are running some queries to figure out how widespread it is first.
    Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 4:29 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hans, can include some thread ids for some of these issues? We may be able to restore some backups and take a look a the data, see if we can figure out what is going on. I'll check with some others on what the expected latency should be, there will be some based on how frequently the job that populates my threads is being fired. So if we can get some thread ids and more info on the latency you are seeing for my threads it would be great. Also, thread ids that are not being filtered correctly by unread. And when you say 'are getting filtered through' are you saying that you've already marked them as read but they are still showing up as read and not being filtered by 'unread'...please include a few thread ids and we'll take a look.

Thanks
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 12:12 AM
    Answerer
  • I can honestly say the latency for a post I make to the time it actually shows up in My Threads can be anywhere from a few hours to seriously never...I mean some posts I make NEVER show up in My Threads.
    A. M. Robinson
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 1:00 AM
  • We had a data issue that essentially backlogged updates from one of the Shards. to the aggregated database  So the threads you made to Forums that belong to that one shard never showed up on the Mythreads page.  I just finished analyzing the data from production backups and have a quick fix for the bad data.  We will apply it as early as possible tomorrow AM.  A permenant fix to avoid this data issue altogether will follow soon.
    Ram T - Forums Dev
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 8:30 AM
  • I made a post last night. When - if ever - can I expect it to actually show up??
    A. M. Robinson
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:17 PM
  • We just ran the data fix and the data updates from that shard has caught up.  Can you report back if you still see discrepancy?
    Ram T - Forums Dev
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:18 PM
  • I'm seeing improvement.  A thread that refused to get filtered since Thursday is now hiding.  Getting updates in minutes instead of hours.  Then again, it is Sunday.

How can one shard affect the aggregation for so many forums?  Correlating the shard you fixed with the forums I post to would help.
    Hans Passant.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 11:02 PM
  • Hans, there are 118 forums on the affected shard.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, March 2, 2009 12:16 AM
  • I am sure they will solve it in next ...10 years .... if they will be in a market with such attitude and such forum software ....But most of people will accept it because it's free....
    dni
    Monday, March 2, 2009 1:21 PM
  • I just found this thread back in the VC++ Language forum. The OP's response was 9:54 hours old.  Nothing in My Threads.

The problem is not fixed.

Hans Passant.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 6:36 PM
  • I would honestly just like to know when are these bugs in Forums going to get fixed?

This has been happening for quite some time and it seems like they're not any closer to being fixed.

It's not a knock, but I recall the new Forums being announced with much fanfare and hoopla, but the old forums at least worked as advertised...

It seems like more time was spent on making the new incarnation "cooler" and "prettier" with all the medals and pictures and icons and fading / rolling windows, and less time making sure the base functionality was there.

I really don't care if I see someone's icon/avatar/whatever...what I would like to be able to see are all of my posts.

A. M. Robinson

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:28 PM
  • We rolled out an update the aggregator job to make it more robust.  This problem has been fixed.  Can you please go to your My Threads page and see if this post shows up? 
    Ram T - Forums Dev
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:06 PM
  • It has not been fixed.  Try turning off the Unread filter to find responses you haven't read yet.
    Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Hans,
    I tested it out with some test posts.  Seems fine.  Looks like Rob asked you for some details around this issue in another thread.  Can you get us the details so we can look into this.  As far as I can tell the aggregator job is working fine and is pulling the data updates from shards to the aggregation DB.  There is probably some issue with caching.

Ram T - Forums Dev
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Check this thread. It does not show up in the user's thread list, despite being a week old.
    MSMVP VC++
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Sheng Jiang 蒋晟 said:

Check this thread. It does not show up in the user's thread list, despite being a week old.

MSMVP VC++

You know, I heard someone else mention that moved threads didn't seem to be showing properly. (NOtice that this thread does show on the repliers' lists, but not the OP's)
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 2:53 AM
  • There is a known issue where moving some threads across some forums will not update the My Threads. This should be resolved in our next update coming soon. At that point, activity in these problem threads should resolve the problem on a thread by thread basis.  We are considering a fix to the data for moved threads for the past couple of weeks (the time frame the moved/my threads issue would impact) but are running some queries to figure out how widespread it is first.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 4:29 AM
    Answerer
  • Are we still seeing issues in my threads for newly contributed to threads since our March release and the following last week's SE release?
    Friday, April 10, 2009 3:01 AM
    Answerer
  • My Threads is unusable, I've switched back to alerts to keep track of responses.
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 8:47 AM
  •  I also have this issue.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 9:05 AM
  • It sprang back to life after the last update.  Not sure if it is okay, at least sorting is still odd.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-8365391-23535
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {E3337FB1-3A7C-428B-BCF7-EB3F052A2EE8}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 102
    Microsoft Office Professional 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1_B4D0AA8B-920-80070057

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{E3337FB1-3A7C-428B-BCF7-EB3F052A2EE8}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>76487-640-8365391-23535</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-436374069-1035525444-1417001333</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>.</Manufacturer><Model>.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20080212000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>3D3E313F0184E07A</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>102</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0014-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><PidType>19</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Monday, April 27, 2009 7:19 AM