locked
Can't Get Tracing to Work RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    I can't get any trace output on the device and I followed the instructions detailed on the MSDN page "How to: Trace the Synchronization Process".

     I created a file named  trace.config.txt with the following and placed it in my app folder. 

     

    <configuration>

    <traceSettings>

    <add key ="FileLocation" value="TraceSample.txt"/>

    <add key ="LogLevel" value="3"/>

    </traceSettings>

    </configuration>

     

    Any ideas why I am not getting output or any output file.

    Thanks

    Anthony

    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:42 AM

All replies

  • Anthony,

    You aren't the only one.  I followed the same link that JuneT gave you and after a few days of trying gave up.  I've tried on solutions built from the ground up but no matter what I tried it wouldn't work.

    You may have more luck tracing the server side of things - I did under WCF.  The downside is that if you are trying to work out why sync on the device is so slow server tracing doesn't help you.

    Cheers,

    Jon

    PS. If you do figure it out let us know as I'd love to get the tracing working !

    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Sorry folks if this introduced any inconvience. would you please check a couple thing:

     

    1. ensure the file name is correct, i.e. the extention of the file is not changed on the device ?

    2. check the root directory to see if the trace file is there as Joey suggested ?

     

    thanks

    yunwen


    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:27 AM
  • Hi Yunwen

    I checked and the file name is the same on the device, I also checked the root and just about everywhere else on the device but did not find the output file. There must be someone out there that has this working?

    Thanks

    Anthony

    Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:07 AM
  • Hi Anthony,

    This is the exact same place I got to.  I was even meticulous about changing the text encoding type in the config file, still nothing.  I must say that I'm beginning to appreciate why some people bang on about open source.  Would certainly help us out in this case.

    I was using WM 6.0 Pro - both emulation and on device - neither worked.  Which version are you using - perhaps that could be part of the problem?  Yunwen, have you had it working on those device types.

    Yunwen do you have a small working app that you could post for us to try - that will help us work out if it is our applications or if it is some setting on the devices...

    Regards,

    Jon

     

    Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:25 AM
  • Jon

    I am using Windows Mobile 6.1 Classic on a Motorola MC9090 and Windows Mobile 5 on the VS2008 SP1 emulator, just to see if it's a version issue.

    Anthony

     

    Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:30 PM
  • Hi Anthony,

    Ah.  That's a shame.  I don't understand it as we are talking fairly different environments.  How come you are trying to do the trace anyway?

    yunwen, there was never a reply to the post that JuneT linked to so we have to question whether that person's problem ever went away.  Have you seen the source code for that side of the framework?  If so what other factors might influence the tracing?

    Regards,

    Jon

     

     

    Friday, October 1, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Jon

    I am using two different environments only to see if the issue with tracing had to do with the Mobile Windows Version or and issue with emulation versus a real device, just trying to eliminate the variables.

    As far as why I am tracing, I am getting the following error "Unable to set session parameters in DbServerSyncProvider. Cannot obtain the value for command parameter '@sync_client_id_binary". I understand the issue is on the server side but I wanted to start troubleshooting on the client. BTW I also can't trace the sync framework on the server side.

    Anthony

    Friday, October 1, 2010 11:19 PM
  • Sorry folks for not being track on this these days. let me check this out and get back to you on this issue.

     

    thanks

    Yunwen


    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:53 AM
  • I know that this thread is a little out of date but check the following article:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc807160.aspx

     

    Right before I got the tracer working I restarted the sync app and also created an empty log file for the tracer to write to.  Dont know if either of these did it for me.

     

    • Proposed as answer by Andrew E Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:23 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:23 PM