none
Can I manually Control when WHS reboots - related to Updates? RRS feed

• Question

• In the SETTINGS tab in the WHS Console there are 2 choices for WINDOWS UPDATE:
      a) On - Install Updates AUTOMATICALLY
      b) Off - Do NOT check for updates.

It seems that the WHS reboots itself after certain (all?) updates are installed - but I would like to manually control WHEN the reboot takes place.  I don't want to turn OFF the update process though 0 ie: I don't want to manually CHECK for updates.

Reason is - I do some "batch" processing of video files overnight and a few times I've found that the server has re-booted itself and therefore the processing errors out on my PC since the source and/or target drives are not available.

Is there a way to do this?  The optimal solution would include a message being sent to me (email, WHS Console "bubble" message and/or Yellow WHS Console icon) noting that either the server needs to be rebooted (specific) or the WHS needs some attention (generic).

I searched through the postings and found THIS ONE which notes going into the Control Panel and changing the settings there (more choices) but is this ok to do - ie: outside of the WHS console?

I do have the WHS "Program Launcher" Add-In installed which gets me acces to the Desktop and Start menu via the WHS console - but I'm guessing that's really no different than a "full" logon to the server.

Thanks!
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:19 PM

Answers

• There is no third option, as you found. You can either set your server to update automatically, which will normally happen overnight (including a possible reboot) or you can set your server to update only when you tell it to manually. 

If you go with changing your server to prompt for reboots, you will have to check your server manually to determine if a reboot is required, just as you would have to check manually for updates if you turned off automatic updates. How often do you really expect to be accessing the server console or desktop? The desktop is unsupported, and the console is really only intended to be used when you need to make a change on the server.

In your scenario, I would probably do one of two things. Preferably, I would find a way to modify my workflow so that I didn't depend on the server throughout the process (only when copying the final product). Failing that I would turn off automatic updates and hope to remember to check weekly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:04 PM

All replies

• There is no third option, as you found. You can either set your server to update automatically, which will normally happen overnight (including a possible reboot) or you can set your server to update only when you tell it to manually. 

If you go with changing your server to prompt for reboots, you will have to check your server manually to determine if a reboot is required, just as you would have to check manually for updates if you turned off automatic updates. How often do you really expect to be accessing the server console or desktop? The desktop is unsupported, and the console is really only intended to be used when you need to make a change on the server.

In your scenario, I would probably do one of two things. Preferably, I would find a way to modify my workflow so that I didn't depend on the server throughout the process (only when copying the final product). Failing that I would turn off automatic updates and hope to remember to check weekly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:04 PM
  • I also don't like that WHS updates and reboots whenever it wants to. So I have automatic updates turned off.

I subscribe to the mswhs.com feed that is very good about posting any updates coming to the WHS. I also don't rush in to install the update right away. Usually I wait at least week to see if there have been any problems with the new update. If all is okay, I'll install the update on the WHS when I'm ready to. On the other hand, if there was a problem with the update, then my system doesn't have any problems while MS is fixing the update.

So far, I haven't had any problems by doing it this way.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:44 AM