after drive failure, all drives except OS drive show as missing RRS feed

• Question

• i recently had a drive fail on my acer h340.  in the troubleshooting process, i formatted the OS partition and recovered the server.  after narrowing the problem down to the drive in question (appears to be nearly total failure, ugh), i have 3 out of the 4 drives plugged in (plugging in the failed drive crashes WHS, or wont boot with it plugged in).

however, the other two drives (h340 has 4 slots) are now showing as missing as well.  not failing, just missing.  they are present in drive manager and intel storage matrix, but the WHS console shows them as missing.  i have rebooted several times and they arent showing up, though the lights on the front for their bays show no issues.  

i am currently running a chkdsk /x /r on d: and i have had no issues so far, but they werent showing up long before i tried that.

does anyone know how to force whs to recognize these drives in the console?

Monday, November 14, 2011 11:23 AM

Answers

• alright, looks like im back online without any data loss.  i ended up removing all duplication, then adding it all again, which caused the drives to re balance (including, oddly, the drives which were shown as not part of the pool).  once that was done, i had to physically remove one of the drives and then "remove" it from the console.  took about 24 hours.  once that was complete, i powered down the server, inserted the drive again, and powered it back up, and added it.  after this i let the pool balance again and repeated for the other drive.  i assume that because i only removed one drive at a time and let everything balance, i didn't lose any data.  

thanks again, phil, for the help.  hope nobody else has this problem, but if they do, this solution worked in my situation.

• Marked as answer by jarhead930 Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:20 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:20 AM

All replies

• one other thing - when i go to the server storage tab, where the pie chart on the right hand side normally would be, it just sits at calculating sizes with the green bar going across.  i have left it for days (literally) and this has not changed, though the console and the server remain responsive.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 11:26 AM
  • chkdsk has completed with no errors on all (non failed) drives.  after finishing that i installed disk management add in, to direct me to which WDEADS drive failed (get it?) so I would know which one to remove.  i did this (took about 24 hours), rebooted the server and checked again.  at this point, upon initial bootup, the drives show up as not added, but there is no option to add them, or repair them.  i ran a database repair, which had to delete some back ups, and rebooted again, no change.

the shared folders tab shows all folders as healthy with duplication on (though im not sure if that's correct, when i add up the sizes shown, it only leaves 1.6tb available, but im not sure if those sizes are duplicated or not), and disk management add in showed them as largely full until today, now it shows them as empty. drive manager shows all drives as not having a lot of free space outside of D (which shows a similar number that i came up with, a little less 1.57tb or so).  however, files can be accessed and played over the network currently, havent checked all of them (there is a LOT of files).

i get an error on the console saying that both of these volumes have failed and need to be checked (done) and repaired (cant?)

at this point im thinking about removing these drives one at a time and adding them back in to the pool, but i -really- dont want to lose my data, obviously, and the market isnt exactly ripe for new hard drives to ensure i have enough room.

anyone have ideas? honestly, anything will probably help.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:06 AM
  • ok, so i got my replacement drive in the mail today and added it.  after it finished adding, i restarted and i went to remove one of the drives through the console.  now the server is telling me that i don't have enough room to remove it.  i turned off duplication on all my folders, and that didn't work, so i cant think of anything other than the fact that the drive is still an active part of pool, but whs doesn't seem to know it.

the only other thing i can think of to do would be to turn duplication back on and then physically remove the hdd, like a failed drive, in theory, i should retain all my data as long as i do this one at a time, right?

if anyone can think of anything else, please post.  

Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:24 AM
  • Oh dear! I would be inclined to copy your data from each of the individual drives to another location on another PC before doing anything else - that way it will be safe from anything you can do to it. Then personally I would give up trying to repair this situation and reinstall WHS on a single drive and see how that goes. After that I would reformat each individual disk and add back to your server and repeat for the rest of your disks. If you have any critical data that can't be reproduced then try to make a second backup just in case.

Probably not what you want to hear but I suspect there will be more chance of success doing it this way - good luck.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:00 AM
  • yes, that's what i was afraid of.  unfortunately, with the flooding in Thailand it's not a trivially cheap task to pick up another 6tb of storage (server total is 12tb storage but wont have to back up more than 6).  this of course leaves me with no other options other than to try and remove the drives in question from the pool after WHS finishes balancing.  i suspect this will take all night.  

thank you very much for your help, good news or bad, i was starting to wonder if anyone actually read these forums ;)

Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:08 AM
  • You can do it a drive at a time - back up data from one drive and add it to the pool and copy the data over - then repeat.

Yes we read these forums but you have to understand we are only interested people and nothing to do with Microsoft. Also as you can imagine we don't always have an immediate answer as troubleshooting computers from afar is not easy unless you have seen the specific problem before.

Good luck again.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:18 AM
  • great, ill try that. another thought just occurred to me.  

perhaps i should boot with one of the drives physically disconnected, and then shut down, move it to a different slot, and boot with it connected again?  maybe that would get results?

also, please don't take that remark to be a slight on the helpful people on these forums, or yourself.  usually on the other forums i post regularly on, if a problem isn't clear enough, one will get a reply asking for more information or the like is all, so i was surprised to have a topic go unanswered for a few days is all.  

Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:24 AM
  • I posted more that I could sense your level of desperation rather than having a solution for you - often a slightly different view can help.

Again - GOOD LUCK

Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:58 AM
  • alright, looks like im back online without any data loss.  i ended up removing all duplication, then adding it all again, which caused the drives to re balance (including, oddly, the drives which were shown as not part of the pool).  once that was done, i had to physically remove one of the drives and then "remove" it from the console.  took about 24 hours.  once that was complete, i powered down the server, inserted the drive again, and powered it back up, and added it.  after this i let the pool balance again and repeated for the other drive.  i assume that because i only removed one drive at a time and let everything balance, i didn't lose any data.  

thanks again, phil, for the help.  hope nobody else has this problem, but if they do, this solution worked in my situation.

• Marked as answer by jarhead930 Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:20 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:20 AM