Brand New One Care does not work!!!! Help. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just bought a brand new computer on Saturday and the One Care anti virus software to go with it. After downloading the software onto the computer I was forced to exchange the computer due to errors. The sales tech told me that I could load the software on up to 3 computers but that one of those download would have been lost due to the computer exchange. He said I could contact Microsoft in order to get them to reissue the liscense for all 3 downloads. When I got the 2nd computer, I again tried to download the software but it forcedme to uninstall my 30 day trial of Norton that came with the computer then it told me my subscription is invalid. So now I am left with no anti-virus software on my brand new computer... PLease help!!!!!
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:31 PM

Answers

• When you attempt to activate One Care be sure to use the same Live ID and password originally used to purchase your One Care subscription. You will still be able to use One Care on up to three computers without having to contact Microsoft or having a license re-issued. All antivirus products will recommend or require that any other antivirus products be uninstalled prior to installation. Having more than one antivirus program installed on a computer can cause performance issues, conflicts, and failure of one or both antivirus products.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:24 PM

All replies

• When you attempt to activate One Care be sure to use the same Live ID and password originally used to purchase your One Care subscription. You will still be able to use One Care on up to three computers without having to contact Microsoft or having a license re-issued. All antivirus products will recommend or require that any other antivirus products be uninstalled prior to installation. Having more than one antivirus program installed on a computer can cause performance issues, conflicts, and failure of one or both antivirus products.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:24 PM
  •  

If you have an active subscription, which is what was created when you activated on the first computer, you need to use the same LiveID on the subsequent activations. You can't use the same key twice. If you are arriving at a screen to purchase or provide a token, you are likely not using the same LiveID as the subscription ID.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate with.

Note also that the salesperson was incorrect, as Jim noted. You can reinstall and activate OneCare when you lose a PC without needing to call Microsoft. You activate subsequent installs per the above directions.

-steve

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Ok... Thank You. While I've got someone to help me... I have the same issue of downloading problems with my microsoft office cd. I downloaded office onto the computer before I had to return it as well. Will I have to get Microsoft to reissue that Lisence in order to still put it on 2 computers?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:49 PM
  • You should be able to install Office if you still have the CD. If there is an issue activating the product you should see a phone number in the Activation Wizard which you can call and explain the circumstances of the additional activation.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:10 PM
  • If you downloaded Office from Microsoft's Marketplace you should have a digital "locker" from which to access the download once again. You may encounter a problem during activation on the 3rd PC, but when you call per the activation prompts (for Office Product Activation) they should resolve that quickly for you.

-steve

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Ok.... I tried to do the download again and I'm sure that I used the same email address. When I went to the link that steve gave me however, it told me I don't have an account with them.... I'm really confused on what to do. There is no product key for my One Care security... The first time I put the CD in it walked me through the process. This time it's not! I only have one hotmail account so I don't see how it is not working....

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:19 PM
  • In my post, are instructions on how to find the LiveID for your subscription by contacting support (via email as a trial user). With your CD key, they can tell you the LiveID. You may have used a different email address than a Hotmail address to activate.

-steve

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:01 PM