How to temporary stop sync and remote access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How can I temporary stop live mesh from syncing on one of my computers? It seems that when ever I start the my computer (and do not log in to live mesh) it will sync my folders.

I have disabled the "live mesh remote desktop" service, but how can I "disable" syncing?

/Morten
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:16 PM

Answers

• In theory, the sync should only happen if you log into the PC. There have been reports that the sync will continue if you log out of the PC, but I don't believe I've had anyone report that the sync starts when the PC is powered on. It should only be sitting and waiting for a remote connection, not synchronizng.
    If it is synchronizing, then I'd suggest filing a bug report as it should no be doing that. Short of uninstalling Live Mesh, I'm not sure of what else can be done in your case.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you probably won't get a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:38 PM

All replies

• In theory, the sync should only happen if you log into the PC. There have been reports that the sync will continue if you log out of the PC, but I don't believe I've had anyone report that the sync starts when the PC is powered on. It should only be sitting and waiting for a remote connection, not synchronizng.
    If it is synchronizing, then I'd suggest filing a bug report as it should no be doing that. Short of uninstalling Live Mesh, I'm not sure of what else can be done in your case.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you probably won't get a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Thanks,

If computer A is booted without automatic login to live mesh, chnages made on computer B are visible on computer A (and the cloud), but changes made on computer A are not visible on computer B and not visible in the cloud.

/Morten
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:15 PM
  • and if you are a little patience - changes made on computer A are also visible on computer B :(
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Then, I'd recommend filing the bug report as per above.
    -steve
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Is there a way I can prevent live mesh from starting at all?
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:41 AM
  • If you change the properties of the service, it should prevent the starting of that part of Live Mesh. Services.msc for the Live Mesh Remote Desktop service - change it from automatic to manual. And, then, msconfig to uncheck Live Mesh, which is the client.
    -steve

Monday, October 26, 2009 12:00 PM
  • Thanks Stephen,

but... When I use msconfig I can't find anything that smells like Live Mesh - what should I look for? Nether on my XP home nor on my XP prof.

/Morten
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Hmm.... before I posted my reply, I opened MSCONFIG on my Vista laptop here and it is listed..... I'll have to check an XP machine later.

Do you have Defender installed? If so you can see the startup programs in Defender and disable them from there, too.
    -steve
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:20 PM