Which features of Mac OS Server Lion should Microsoft add to WHS 2011? RRS feed

• General discussion

• For me the PXE restore is a no-brainer.
    qts
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:47 AM

All replies

• None. For the most part, Mac OS X Server adds Exchange, Sharepoint, and a couple of other "nice to haves" (in a business environment) to the base OS X operating system. They're serious overkill for the home environment, though.

As for support for PXE boot, getting that to work is a real PITA for the average consumer, because of the wide range of consumer hardware available, much of which doesn't even support PXE.

If, on the other hand, you want Exchange, Sharepoint, and an all-Apple home, knock yourself out.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:37 PM
  • None. For the most part, Mac OS X Server adds Exchange, Sharepoint, and a couple of other "nice to haves" (in a business environment) to the base OS X operating system. They're serious overkill for the home environment, though.

I agree.

As for support for PXE boot, getting that to work is a real PITA for the average consumer, because of the wide range of consumer hardware available, much of which doesn't even support PXE.

But a lot of consumer PCs do support it. If MS could simplify the process sufficiently, it would be a real boon. How often do people lose the restore CD? Set the PC to boot to PXE in the BIOS, boot, get presented with a list of backed-up clients - bonus if it defaults to the PC with the same MAC address - then select the backup to restore.
    qts
    Friday, September 2, 2011 7:33 AM
  • ... But a lot of consumer PCs do support it. If MS could simplify the process sufficiently, it would be a real boon. How often do people lose the restore CD? Set the PC to boot to PXE in the BIOS, boot, get presented with a list of backed-up clients - bonus if it defaults to the PC with the same MAC address - then select the backup to restore.

I would guess that support for PXE in consumer hardware is around 50% to 75%, so there's a huge fraction that don't support it. And every BIOS supports it a little differently, and requires different configuration to get it to work.

Apple can do it, because Apple controls the platform, the hardware, and the configuration thereof. When Microsoft brings out a Microsoft branded PC and withdraws Windows an OS that system builders and OEMs can install and ship (which is what it would take for Microsoft to "simplify the process"), I will switch to using Ubuntu on my desktops. Or Mac OS, since at least Macs look cool.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 2, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Steeping a bit beyond the Lion Platform, atleast without the server addon - the largest piece that I think has always been missing from the MS Home Server platform is better collboration / synching between the desktops.  Now that our house is "paired" in essence through the "Connector" software to the Home Server, it opens a huge world of Synching.  For example, every one of our computers has Outlook installed; being able to coordinate a single "Family' or ensure that our "favourites" collections is available across the computers would be a great addon.  I have started playing around with the Publishing a calendar online and sharing it through Office.Com as and iCS but there has to be a better way for a home envioronment.

Sunday, September 4, 2011 7:52 PM