Error re-installing MS CRM 4.0 - AddPrincipalToGroup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Trying to re-install MS CRM 4.0. SSRS ceased to function I suspect after SQL Server 2005 SP 2 was deployed, so I'm trying to perform a re-installation. Started by re-installing SQL 2005 and applied SP 2. Configured SSRS however the 'Initilialization' (while ticked) was greyed out. Apparently not a problem.

Installation of MS CRM 4.0 (with latest installation files downloaded) failed with error:

Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ProvisionBusinessAction failed.
    Method not found: 'Void Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityLibrary.AddPrincipalToGroup(System.Guid, System.Guid)'.

Full exception:

Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ProvisionBusinessAction failed. --->

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void

Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityLibrary.AddPrincipalToGroup(System.Guid, System.Guid)'.
       at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.SystemUserServiceInternal`1.ManageGroupsHelper(Guid activeDirectoryGuid, Boolean remove,

ExecutionContext context)
       at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.SystemUserServiceInternal`1.CreateInternal(Guid organizationId, IBusinessEntity systemuser,

ExecutionContext context)
       at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.SystemUserServiceInternal`1.ProvisionCreate(IBusinessEntity systemuser, ExecutionContext

context)
       at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.OrganizationServiceInternal`1.CreateRootBusiness(IBusinessEntity organization, IBusinessEntity

business, IBusinessEntity systemUser, ExecutionContext context)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.Utility.NewOrgUtility.OrganizationCreateNew(String organizationId, String organizationName,

String userAccountName, String userFirstName, String userLastName, String userEmail, String featureSetFile, String languageCode,

String privilegedUserGroup, String sqlAccessGroup, String userGroup, String reportingGroup, String privilegedReportingGroup,

Boolean grantNetworkServiceAccess)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ProvisionBusinessAction.Do(IDictionary parameters)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Action.ExecuteAction(Action action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Action.ExecuteAction(Action action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Installer.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.ComposedInstaller.InternalInstall(IDictionary stateSaver)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.ComposedInstaller.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServerSetup.Install(IDictionary data)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServerSetup.Run()

Thanks.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

Managed to get it installed. Not entirely sure what did the trick, but on the last attempt I moved the SSRS to it's own dedicated IIS Web Site (from default) as well as remove all the crm assemblies from the GAC. When I tried to delete these assemblies, it would not allow me to as it claimed they were in use. The only reference was in the registry, which after removal allowed me to uninstall from the GAC. Pretty sure I did this previously, so it might be a combination of steps that worked.

I will put all in writing at a later stage, but I think it was the full uninstall of the previous copy, that worked.

Many thanks for your help.

ps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946980 -> KB article I think you were referring to.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:36 PM

All replies

• It looks that is a problem with AD (MS CRM have 4 security group in it). Try to delete those groups and try again.

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Monday, November 9, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Only if you are starting over from scratch to install a blank CRM db would you eliminate security groups in AD, even then CRM should create new groups for you.

I think you're seeing a permissions issue - make sure you have all (or at least the minimum) permissions needed to be a CRM system (deployment) administrator - There's a KB article that describes in detail what you need.

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Monday, November 9, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Still no luck.

The user attempting the installation is the domain administrator, obviously an administrator on that server. I've made sure to provide sufficient permissions just in case...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946686

What I don't understand is why this method could not be found: Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityLibrary.AddPrincipalToGroup

Could there be an issue with the latest downloaded installer? This seems to be a MS CRM assembly as opposed to a SSRS type assembly.

The only other unusual step regarding the installation is that I'm installing over RDP, connecting as the administrator.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:03 AM
  • Karlos/CRM001 -

That's unusual - I wouldn't expect the updated installer to fail with that error -

Installing via RDP was an issue earlier, but shouldn't be a problem now - but just in case, have you tried RDP'ing in to the Console session?

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:59 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Managed to get it installed. Not entirely sure what did the trick, but on the last attempt I moved the SSRS to it's own dedicated IIS Web Site (from default) as well as remove all the crm assemblies from the GAC. When I tried to delete these assemblies, it would not allow me to as it claimed they were in use. The only reference was in the registry, which after removal allowed me to uninstall from the GAC. Pretty sure I did this previously, so it might be a combination of steps that worked.

I will put all in writing at a later stage, but I think it was the full uninstall of the previous copy, that worked.

Many thanks for your help.

ps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946980 -> KB article I think you were referring to.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:36 PM