Steady State similar to Returnil? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using a sandbox type program called Returnil for some time, without incident, on a company-owned laptop.  Recently, however, it went, well, goofy....not allowing downloads of Windows updates, Outlook email downloads etc....  As soon as I removed the program, the problems "seemed" to go away.

In short, I used the program as described, by invoking the software before doing any Internet browsing, then, after I was done on the Net, I would simply reboot the PC so that any changes made to the laptop and/or history of the Internet session ceased to exist.  I feel a bit naked not using a similar product.

I just became aware of Steady State and would like to know if its function is similar to the other program.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Steven, here is some general introduction of Windows SteadyState:

Introduction to Windows SteadyState

Windows® SteadyState™ helps make shared computers easier to set up and maintain for administrators, and more reliable and consistent for computer users. By using Windows SteadyState, you can more effectively:

§  Defend shared computers from unauthorized changes to their hard disks.

§  Restrict users from accessing system settings and data.

§  Enhance the user experience on shared computers.

These capabilities make Windows SteadyState beneficial in situations where a computer is used by multiple people, such as schools, public libraries, community technology centers, and Internet cafés.

Protecting Shared Computers

A unique challenge exists for shared computer environments. Microsoft software is designed to offer users a great degree of flexibility in their ability to customize their experience and to make changes to their computer settings. However, in a shared computer environment, administrators will typically not want to provide the full set of customization and change capabilities because doing so could allow changes to be made that affect the health of the computer and the experience for other users. On a shared computer, privacy and uniformity are very important elements of the maintenance and use of the system. Windows SteadyState helps an administrator protect a shared computer against unwanted changes.

For detailed information, you can download the handbook via the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=f829bb8b-c7a9-426b-a7a4-2b504a6238d2

Also, you can check the following thread:

Managing a public PC
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/2be2359f-51a2-4bfd-a923-524eff8bd9ec

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:44 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:32 AM

All replies

• I think SandboxIE would be more attune to Returnil than Steady State, but they are somewhat similar in being a type of virtualization, except that SandboxIE isolates apps more than the whole system, like Steady State or Returnil, and say Deep Freeze.  How do you like Returnil?

I have been using SS in conjunction with Deep Freeze for a while and have had no real issues to speak of at all. You have to be careful about those windows updates, sometimes they can cause certain apps to behave well, 'goofy' as you say. Have you contacted Returnil to see if there is any report of conflicts with their software and any recent Windows Updates?

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:22 AM
  • Hi Steven, here is some general introduction of Windows SteadyState:

Introduction to Windows SteadyState

Windows® SteadyState™ helps make shared computers easier to set up and maintain for administrators, and more reliable and consistent for computer users. By using Windows SteadyState, you can more effectively:

§  Defend shared computers from unauthorized changes to their hard disks.

§  Restrict users from accessing system settings and data.

§  Enhance the user experience on shared computers.

These capabilities make Windows SteadyState beneficial in situations where a computer is used by multiple people, such as schools, public libraries, community technology centers, and Internet cafés.

Protecting Shared Computers

A unique challenge exists for shared computer environments. Microsoft software is designed to offer users a great degree of flexibility in their ability to customize their experience and to make changes to their computer settings. However, in a shared computer environment, administrators will typically not want to provide the full set of customization and change capabilities because doing so could allow changes to be made that affect the health of the computer and the experience for other users. On a shared computer, privacy and uniformity are very important elements of the maintenance and use of the system. Windows SteadyState helps an administrator protect a shared computer against unwanted changes.

For detailed information, you can download the handbook via the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=f829bb8b-c7a9-426b-a7a4-2b504a6238d2

Also, you can check the following thread:

Managing a public PC
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/2be2359f-51a2-4bfd-a923-524eff8bd9ec

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:44 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:32 AM