Bug or do I miss something? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I have set up a p2p sync with a friend. I configured my sync option on the first PC to not sync with my Live Desktop since I want it to be a p2p. The problem is when I look at the folder on my Live Desktop it is configured to sunc both with my PC and with Live Desktop. What I now need to do is to remove the "Sync with Live Desktop" and then the icon looks lika a "shortcut icon" like it should.

SO - WHt do I need to configure thin from both the client and the Live Desktop? I thought the configuration was syncroniced to the web!

Björn Axéll MVP - Advisec AB
    http://blog.advisec.com
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Björn,

I think I understand your confusion. I've done the following:

1. Added a new folder to my mesh
    2. Selected "Never with this device" for the "Live Desktop"
    3. Visited my Live Desktop
    4. Seen the greyed out folder shortcut
    5. Double clicked on the greyed out folder shortcut
    6. Seen the following window:

Is this the main problem you were referring to? If it is -

The window is somewhat hard to read. It isn't indicating that this is the current situation, rather that this is the situation that will occur if you press OK. Live Mesh pops up the synch window when you click on a shortcut folder, since the folder is not synched with the Mesh. The window is basically saying "do you want to now sync this folder with the Live Desktop?", and that's why it has "When files or folders are added" selected.

I hope that helps,

Oren
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 12:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Again Björn :)

It sounds like this is possibly a bug although one thing that could have happened is that your friend (who I am assuming is on a different mesh) had his machine set to sync the folder to his Live Desktop as well. From my understanding this can cause the files to be shared between the two Live Desktops, although for you the files will appear to be quota free (since they only really exist on his Live Desktop).

Another option could be if you initially synced the folder with the Live Desktop, and then removed the Live Desktop from the sync (and made it P2P), you may have left mesh in a gray area.

If your friend didn't have the folder set to sync with his Live Desktop, and you never synced the folder with the Live Desktop, then this sounds like a client bug and should most likely be bugged according to these instructions.

Enjoy!

Oren
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Monday, February 2, 2009 5:53 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Björn Axell Monday, February 2, 2009 6:03 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Oren,
    Thanks for your answer. Can you or someone else just help me verify the steps. To repro this behaivure I just:
    1) Create a foler on my pc that I would like to p2p sync
    2) Click "Show syncronizations option" and select "Never with this device" for Live Desktop

When I now open my Live Desktop, I looks like it is correct (the shortcut icon), but If Icheck the syncronication option for the folder on Live Desktop it state it should syncronice with both my pc and my Live Desktop. This is not correct if yo ask me. Can someone answer if this is the correct behaivure.

PS! In the past, I didn't get the right "shortcut icon", i'm not sure if this is something that has been fixed in the lasted release.

Monday, February 2, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Hi Björn,

I think I understand your confusion. I've done the following:

1. Added a new folder to my mesh
    2. Selected "Never with this device" for the "Live Desktop"
    3. Visited my Live Desktop
    4. Seen the greyed out folder shortcut
    5. Double clicked on the greyed out folder shortcut
    6. Seen the following window:

Is this the main problem you were referring to? If it is -

The window is somewhat hard to read. It isn't indicating that this is the current situation, rather that this is the situation that will occur if you press OK. Live Mesh pops up the synch window when you click on a shortcut folder, since the folder is not synched with the Mesh. The window is basically saying "do you want to now sync this folder with the Live Desktop?", and that's why it has "When files or folders are added" selected.

I hope that helps,

Oren
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 12:46 AM
  • Oren,
    Thanks, now I understand. But take this as eedback, it wasn't that clear if you ask me:-)

Thanks for helping out.

Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:39 PM