Constant login for iTunes connectivity RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if anyone can suggest anything for this one.  Have recently just installed WHS 2011.  One of the devices we want to stream to is Apple TV.  ATV requires a constant link to the open iTunes application so it can be used at anytime.  The only way I can think of this is by creating another user and login to the console, open iTunes and leave it in this state at all times.

Sure this is not ideal for security reasons etc.  Is there anyway I can start this application and leave it running in the background without the user account being logged in at the console.

Even to keep the user logged in would be a prob as if we have a power faliure, would need to connect a monitor up to the server as we just leave it with the keyboard and mouse connected state.

Any help would be really appreciated as a bit stumped on this one.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:59 PM

All replies

• As you note, leaving a user logged in isn't desirable for security reasons, and is generally awkward, but it's a workable way to deal with the need to have iTunes (a desktop, single-user, application) running constantly on your server without any attention on your part. An (unsupported) option is to configure a service that will start iTunes for you, using e.g. srvany from the Windows Server 2003 resource kit. See here for some information on how you might do that. 

Note that this is unsupported, both on Windows Home Server, and generally on Windows Server 2008 R2 (the base OS for WHS), so there is no guarantee that you'll be successful, and no guarantee that you won't wind up with serious issues as a result. Also note that iTunes does not take kindly to sharing it's music database, so external manipulation of that database while iTunes is running on your server has a chance of corrupting it, which could result in lost playlists, etc. In other words, proceed at your own risk. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:09 PM
  • You might want to look at iHomeServer for iTunes.

I've installed it to setup iTunes in the hope yet to be completed as a server for iPad/iPhone. 

Malcolm

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Friday, December 16, 2011 3:35 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 7:19 AM