Dell Product Key vs XP Version RRS feed

• Question

• I have an XP Product key on the bottom of a very cheap Dell laptop that I bought at a yardsale.   I am trying to fix it up and donate it.

The tag is partially torn so I can not tell if it says it is a XP Home or a XP Pro key number.

I found a site that sells Dell recovery CD's, but they have two sets, one if for XP Home and one is for XP Pro.

I think if I buy the wrong one, the key mis-match will cause an installation failure.

Is there a utility I can feed the key into, or can I email the key and find out which version it goes with?  I can then tape a note to the bottom of the laptop and buy the correct set of recovery cd's.

Thanks,

David M.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:27 AM

Answers

• "David Muszynski" wrote in message news:06e7b0ce-5e0e-4422-a6bc-93b6a816c517...

I have an XP Product key on the bottom of a very cheap Dell laptop that I bought at a yardsale.   I am trying to fix it up and donate it.

The tag is partially torn so I can not tell if it says it is a XP Home or a XP Pro key number.

I found a site that sells Dell recovery CD's, but they have two sets, one if for XP Home and one is for XP Pro.

I think if I buy the wrong one, the key mis-match will cause an installation failure.

Is there a utility I can feed the key into, or can I email the key and find out which version it goes with?  I can then tape a note to the bottom of the laptop and buy the correct set of recovery cd's.

Thanks,

David M.

Using the Dell Service Tag on the site should enable you to find the shipped configuration of the machine, including the OS installed.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:09 AM

All replies

• Sorry, there is no way for us to determine whether a Dell OEM Windows XP product key is for Home or Professional.  My guess is its for Home edition.  Also see: What is a Service Tag and How Do I Locate It?

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:51 AM
  • "David Muszynski" wrote in message news:06e7b0ce-5e0e-4422-a6bc-93b6a816c517...

I have an XP Product key on the bottom of a very cheap Dell laptop that I bought at a yardsale.   I am trying to fix it up and donate it.

Thanks,

David M.

Using the Dell Service Tag on the site should enable you to find the shipped configuration of the machine, including the OS installed.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:09 AM