Laptop hard drive replacement RRS feed

• Question

• Chkdsk is reporting errors after using the /F parameter so I guess the hard drive is toast.??

I am considering replacing the hard drive on this 'work' laptop. I understand from various threads that I should replace with a similar size drive or larger. Will the restore process work for a different brand which may or not be exactly identical in size. I expect to replace with an approximate equal or larger size.

Also as a pont of information XP restore failed on two attempts to restore and system went into spontaneous reboots. However WHS restore worked on both occasions. The restore process seems to work better when using WHS restore.

However after a few days the system blue screens once again.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated in respect to procedure.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 7:46 AM

Answers

• The restore should work regardless of the brand of hard drive you use - and you should have no issues as long as you go for one at least the same size :-)

As for your last point about it blue screening a few days later - if it was hardware related then to be honest I think it was bound to happen again and again. If it was software related then it might have been whatever you added or whatever was then being accessed.

Either way, i think your idea to replace the hard drive is a good one!

Andrew

Saturday, November 24, 2007 7:58 AM
  • You may as well leave the restore process to format it for you :-)

Andrew

Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:10 AM

All replies

• The restore should work regardless of the brand of hard drive you use - and you should have no issues as long as you go for one at least the same size :-)

As for your last point about it blue screening a few days later - if it was hardware related then to be honest I think it was bound to happen again and again. If it was software related then it might have been whatever you added or whatever was then being accessed.

Either way, i think your idea to replace the hard drive is a good one!

Andrew

Saturday, November 24, 2007 7:58 AM
  • Thanks...I just checked device manager which shows an 80gig Fujitsu which is what I intended to replace it with.

Is it best to allow the restore to format or should I format beforehand?

Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:07 AM
  • You may as well leave the restore process to format it for you :-)

Andrew

Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:10 AM
  • FYI Andrew this is another Andrew (Andy) and the meaning for the name is 'the brave'.....go for it

Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:13 AM
  • :-)

Good luck Andy - any problems shout!

Adrew

Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:16 AM
  • will report back when done.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:18 AM
  • Worked as discuussed in thread. All Ok

Saturday, December 8, 2007 1:14 AM