MY BRAND NEW LAPTOP'S PRODUCT KEY IS INCORRECT!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am very distraught with the fact that I have only just today purchased a HP laptop, which has Windows Vista home premium already built into it, that when I type the product key in, i am told that it is incorrect.I purchased the laptop from John Lewis. I have however decided that I shall not be connecting to the internet just yet, yet I will be needing Microsoft office asap for coursework, this is such an annoying and inconvienient thing to happen the first day of buying my laptop, please someone HELP!!

Kind regards,

Gemma

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:06 PM

Answers

•  

Hello Karen,

NOTE: If your laptop was purchased New, the laptop should be ready to run, out of the box. Large Computer Manufaturers (such as HP) sell their Vista Pre-installed computers with the Product Key already entered and already Activated.

Your issue is not a Windows Genuine Advantage issue, but I will try to help you as best I can.

Was the Laptop purchased New or Used?

Have you contacted HP? If your Laptop is new, then it should still be under warrenty and HP is your Primary Support Provider.

Thank you,

Darin Smith
    WGA

Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hello Gemma,

NOTE: If your laptop was purchased New, the laptop should be ready to run, out of the box. Large Computer Manufaturers (such as HP) sell their Vista Pre-installed computers with the Product Key already entered and already Activated.

Your issue is not a Windows Genuine Advantage issue, but I will try to help you as best I can.

Was the Laptop purchased New or Used? and is John Lewis a Business or Person?

Have you contacted HP? If your Laptop is new, then it should still be under warrenty and HP is your Primary Support Provider.

Thank you,

Darin Smith
    WGA

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:53 PM
  • I also brought a brand new HP laptop from a high street store, and I am also having the same problem, when trying to use microsoft vista, i have tried entering the product key (pre loaded software), and the product key on the bottom of my laptop says invalid.

Thank you

Thursday, September 13, 2007 10:01 AM
  •  

Hello Karen,

Was the Laptop purchased New or Used?

Thank you,

Darin Smith
    WGA

Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:32 PM
  • I also just bought a new HP laptop from future shop about a month ago. I ignored the microsoft word 2007 setup process so that i could use it because i did not know where my product key was. Now it will not let me ignore it any longer and i found a product key on the bottom of my laptop for it but it said it was invalid. I tried it several times but i still had no luck. How do i know if my product key is the right one and if not how do i find it?

Aly

Monday, October 8, 2007 7:46 PM
  • Apparently, you had a trial version of Microsoft Office or Word installed.  You'll need to purchase a license for Microsoft Office or Word in order to continue the use of the program.

How to convert a trial version of a 2007 Office suite or program to a full retail perpetual license version:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927756/en-us

How to determine whether you have a trial edition of a 2007 Office suite or program installed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927920/en-us

Note:  The product key affixed to your computer is for Windows Vista and not Microsoft Office or Word.

Monday, October 8, 2007 8:28 PM
  • I have repeatedly verified and typed in the correct key numerous times. What can I do to correct this problem.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 1:01 PM
  • Apparently, you had a trial version of Microsoft Office or Word installed.  You'll need to purchase a license for Microsoft Office or Word in order to continue the use of the program.

How to convert a trial version of a 2007 Office suite or program to a full retail perpetual license version:

How to determine whether you have a trial edition of a 2007 Office suite or program installed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927920/en-us

Note:  The product key affixed to your computer is for Windows Vista and not Microsoft Office or Word.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:20 PM
  •  I  bought my Acer Laptop a couple of month ago and luckily i found these Product Key on the bottom of my laptop. Now my problem is I cannot enter the Product key but said it was invalid,please how can I find new Product Key.

A lot of thanks,

o.caincol

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 5:55 AM
  • hi, yeah i bought an Acer Laptop too around november time and i have been using micosoft office word 2007 for a while now, it kept asking me for the product key but i didn't realise that i HAD to type it in so i left it and carried on using word.

It's now asking me for the product key which i later found was on the bottom of my laptop on a sticker! Everytime i type in the product key it states that its invalid and i should correct and retype it! but ive done this many many times and still it fails to go right

please help

thankyou.

lauren.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:37 PM
  • i bought a brand new sony vaio laptop and it kept asking me for the product key everytime i tried to use microsoft office word ... i kept ignoring this as it was really annoying.

its now asking me for a product key and i found 1 on a sticker on the bottom of my latop but it says the code is invalid ... im stuck i dont know whats wronh and i dont know how to solve it

- can someone help me   ????

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 2:14 PM
  •  hannah17 wrote:

i bought a brand new sony vaio laptop and it kept asking me for the product key everytime i tried to use microsoft office word ... i kept ignoring this as it was really annoying.

its now asking me for a product key and i found 1 on a sticker on the bottom of my latop but it says the code is invalid ... im stuck i dont know whats wronh and i dont know how to solve it

- can someone help me   ????

The product key affixed to your computer is for Windows Vista (the operating system) and not for Microsoft Office.  Please review the following:

How to determine whether you have a trial edition of a 2007 Office suite or program installed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927920/en-us

How to buy the 2007 Microsoft Office suites:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX101678741033.aspx?ofcresset=1

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 6:24 PM
  • I have a laptop I purchased from Best Buy in September; and now I apparently only have 12 uses of Microsoft Word 2007 left because I haven't entered my product key. However, I have tried many times to enter the code, and it always says it's incorrect; but IT'S NOT! I retyped it so many times, it isnt incorrect!!
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Hello heyheyitsjenny,

Have a look at some of the answers above your post........

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:33 AM
  • I bought a Lenova brand new and have the same problem.  I don't know what to do to fix the problem.  Every time I start to use word, it asks me for the product key-when I enter the one on the bottom of the laptop, it gives me the error message.

Best wishes,

3ACsmom

Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:54 PM
  • "3ACsmom" wrote in message news:c83f780b-9172-4651-8d34-a34b526ee9c1...

I bought a Lenova brand new and have the same problem.  I don't know what to do to fix the problem.  Every time I start to use word, it asks me for the product key-when I enter the one on the bottom of the laptop, it gives me the error message.

Best wishes,

3ACsmom

That's because the Key on the bottom of the laptop is for Windows - not Word or Office!
    If you have a genuine installation of Word/Office, the Key is inside the packaging it came in.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, July 12, 2010 7:44 AM