Bought Laptop on Ebay...Windows 7 Ultimate Not Genuine...What Shoud I Do to Get Genuine? RRS feed

• Question

• I boutght a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop from an eBay seller and tried to download Microsoft Security Essentials.  Discovered that the copy of Windows 7 Ultimate that is on this laptop is not genuine.  Here is what I got from Microsoft:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 0x8004FE22
    Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-TMVMJ-BBMRX-3MBMV
    Windows Product Key Hash: 55n8g6xdzhe4AOWhmTzdzQoLfa4=
    Windows Product ID: 00426-292-0000007-85230
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.001
    ID: {A0560655-108C-4D98-8343-AA976DC79744}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows 7 Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\systemcpl.dll[6.1.7600.16385], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\user32.dll[6.1.7600.16385], Hr = 0x800b0100

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{A0560655-108C-4D98-8343-AA976DC79744}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.001</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3MBMV</PKey><PID>00426-292-0000007-85230</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-545665703-3046625666-3371108516</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Latitude E6400                  </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A24</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20100506000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>35BA3607018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>M09    </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Input Error: Can not find script file "C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs".

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x8004FE22
    HrOnline: N/A
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000800
    Event Time Stamp: 1:28:2011 11:40
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:
    Tampered File: %systemroot%\system32\slui.exe|slui.exe.mui|COM Registration

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: NAAAAAEAAQABAAIAAQACAAAAAwABAAEA6GEIZuGg5m5a0RYrzuxqnxbu1F9oaFAFTAFGyg==

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20001
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   DELL    M09   
      FACP   DELL    M09   
      HPET   DELL    M09   
      MCFG   DELL    M09   
      ____   DELL    M09   
      ASF!   DELL    M09   
      TCPA     
      SLIC   DELL    M09   
      SSDT   PmRef  CpuPm

I looked in the battery compartment and discovered a Certificate of Authenticity for Windows 7 Professional with a product key.  Called Microsoft and rep. confirmed it was a vaild key.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need to buy a full version of Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, or would an upgrade disc or a vaild key do?

2. Since Windows 7 Pro was the operating system that initially came with the machine, should I buy that (Windows 7 Pro) instead? 

3. Or, since I am using the laptop for personal use, can I just install Windows 7 Home Premium on it, since the copy of Ultimate is not genuine and I don't really need that upgrade?

4. It seems as if I cannot locate the Product ID or key for this non-genuine version of Windows 7 Ultimate.  Do I need to just download any genuine Windows operating system?

Please advise...thanks

Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:43 AM

Answers

• "SimplyAdorable" wrote in message news:06fc7890-7214-4087-94fb-171955f24b9d...

I boutght a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop from an eBay seller and tried to download Microsoft Security Essentials.  Discovered that the copy of Windows 7 Ultimate that is on this laptop is not genuine.  Here is what I got from Microsoft:

I looked in the battery compartment and discovered a Certificate of Authenticity for Windows 7 Professional with a product key.  Called Microsoft and rep. confirmed it was a vaild key.

1. Do I need to buy a full version of Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, or would an upgrade disc or a vaild key do?

2. Since Windows 7 Pro was the operating system that initially came with the machine, should I buy that (Windows 7 Pro) instead? 

3. Or, since I am using the laptop for personal use, can I just install Windows 7 Home Premium on it, since the copy of Ultimate is not genuine and I don't really need that upgrade?

4. It seems as if I cannot locate the Product ID or key for this non-genuine version of Windows 7 Ultimate.  Do I need to just download any genuine Windows operating system?

Please advise...thanks

The Key in use in this install of Ultimate is the Default (Keyless install) Key - which probably means that the vendor did a clean install with a Win 7 disk without entering a key, just before shipping it to you. You cannot be sure that they did not also install other 'software' at the same time, so the recommendation has to be that you do a reformat/reinstall.

Since the machine is a Dell, your best option is to use their Recovery system to get back to ex-factory condition - see the manual for instructions. If the original owner has blown away the Recovery partition, then you should contact Dell, and request a set of Recovery disks - they will happily send them to you (for a small-ish price).
    If for whatever reason you don't want to involve Dell, then you need to find someone with a Full Retail copy of Win7 Pro, and borrow their disk - make a copy of it, and then use that to do a clean install of  WIn7 Pro using the Default Key - once the install is complete, you can then change the Product Key to your OCA key from the sticker.
    Your other option is to purchase a legal copy of whatever edition of Win 7 (or any other OS for that matter) from a reputable dealer, and use that to clean install the system. It will need to be a Full Retail copy - not an Upgrade.

HTH
    --

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:24 AM
  • Please see: How to Order Dell Backup Discs

The alternative is to purchase a retail  Windows 7 Ultimate – Full Version and then Update your Windows product key.

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Hello SimplyAdorable,

You first step would be to complete the Dell Ownership Transfer form here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/change_order/tag_transfer?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~ck=anavml

Then let that percolate thru the Dell system for a week or so, then contact them at the link Carey provided to order your recovery/backup discs.  They'll charge you less than $25 for the discs and shipping.

Much better than purchasing a whole new license for Windows 7, especially because the computer is already licensed from Dell for W7Pro.  If you're patient with Dell and let their process work, you'll save yourself a lot of cash :-)

Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:43 PM

All replies

• "SimplyAdorable" wrote in message news:06fc7890-7214-4087-94fb-171955f24b9d...

I boutght a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop from an eBay seller and tried to download Microsoft Security Essentials.  Discovered that the copy of Windows 7 Ultimate that is on this laptop is not genuine.  Here is what I got from Microsoft:

Please advise...thanks

The Key in use in this install of Ultimate is the Default (Keyless install) Key - which probably means that the vendor did a clean install with a Win 7 disk without entering a key, just before shipping it to you. You cannot be sure that they did not also install other 'software' at the same time, so the recommendation has to be that you do a reformat/reinstall.

Since the machine is a Dell, your best option is to use their Recovery system to get back to ex-factory condition - see the manual for instructions. If the original owner has blown away the Recovery partition, then you should contact Dell, and request a set of Recovery disks - they will happily send them to you (for a small-ish price).
    If for whatever reason you don't want to involve Dell, then you need to find someone with a Full Retail copy of Win7 Pro, and borrow their disk - make a copy of it, and then use that to do a clean install of  WIn7 Pro using the Default Key - once the install is complete, you can then change the Product Key to your OCA key from the sticker.
    Your other option is to purchase a legal copy of whatever edition of Win 7 (or any other OS for that matter) from a reputable dealer, and use that to clean install the system. It will need to be a Full Retail copy - not an Upgrade.

HTH
    --

Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:24 AM
  • I contacted Dell yesterday and was on the phone with them for about an hour just being transferred from department to department without being helped.  They couldn't find the laptop in their system and they kept asking me about the previous owner.  This is a new computer and I only had the name of the person who sold it to me, so that was no help.  Could not get recovery discs.  Also no manual came with the computer.

How do I get the rest of the default key that is on this system?  How do I get a default keey for Windows 7 Pro?

I do have a full copy of Windows XP with a good key.  Can i use that?  Or is that going too far back in the past for an operating system?

Oh by the way, this is 64-bit Windows 7 ultimate that is installed on here.  Does that make a difference?

So, to clarify, if I get a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, for example, or even Windows Vista, will that work on here to reformat/reinstall.? 

Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Please see: How to Order Dell Backup Discs

The alternative is to purchase a retail  Windows 7 Ultimate – Full Version and then Update your Windows product key.

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Hello SimplyAdorable,

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/change_order/tag_transfer?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~ck=anavml

Then let that percolate thru the Dell system for a week or so, then contact them at the link Carey provided to order your recovery/backup discs.  They'll charge you less than $25 for the discs and shipping.

Much better than purchasing a whole new license for Windows 7, especially because the computer is already licensed from Dell for W7Pro.  If you're patient with Dell and let their process work, you'll save yourself a lot of cash :-)

Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:43 PM
  • "Dan at IT Associates" wrote in message news:08c0c61f-e8f3-4daa-8bab-06d6073a0985...

Hello SimplyAdorable,

(thanks, Dan!)

--

Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:24 PM
  • I am concerned because when I contacted Dell yesterday, they could not find my service tag number in their system.  It got me to thinking:  I got a new Dell laptop from ebay, no paperwork, no recovery discs, no warranty information (I thought I would get these materials) and non-genuine operating system.  I am beginning to wonder if the laptop was stolen or something. What is going on with this laptop?  I would hate to lose the laptop AND my money.  So I wonder if I should provide my name, address, etc. to Dell. What do you think?

The ebay seller has been suspended from ebay (after I paid for the laptop) and there is no guarantee that i will get my money back from Paypal (if the seller has withdrawn all funds from his account).  I do like the laptop and would like to keep it, if I can have genuine Windows on it.

So back to my original question:  If I buy a full verson of Microsoft Windows, does it HAVE to be Windows 7 Ultimate (that is what is installed, but it is nongenuine), Windows 7 Professional (what the machine originally was licensed for), or Windows 7 Home Premuim (the cheapest option, and all that I really need).

OR can I install Windows Vista or even XP on here?  I am getting those messages about Windows not being genuine, so I may not have a lot of time to wait.

Please forgive me if I am repeating the questions.  I just want to make sure I am getting the right thing and not waste any more money.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:14 AM
  • You can "clean install" Windows 7 Home Edition if you wish.  A good value would be  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM which is a "Full Version".
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Thanks to everyone for replying.  One final question:  How can I tell if my computer is 32 or 64 bit?  I know the sell had 64 bit windows 7 installed on her, but how do I know that is right?  Can a 32 bit operating system be used?
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:12 AM
  • "SimplyAdorable" wrote in message news:450fd309-8f7b-4202-ada2-17c24aeb7ebd...
    Thanks to everyone for replying.  One final question:  How can I tell if my computer is 32 or 64 bit?  I know the sell had 64 bit windows 7 installed on her, but how do I know that is right?  Can a 32 bit operating system be used?

Lets go back a step first.
    You can install whatever operating system you like on your machine - it is, after all, your machine. Bear in mind that legal copies of XP are getting to be like gold-dust, and that Wn7 will almost certainly work better and faster than Vista would. Dell may not have drivers suitable for either OS for you machine - check the website. 
    Your machine is currently running 64-bit Windows - if it has more than 4GB of RAM, then it has to run 64-bit to be able to take advantage of the extra RAM.  If it has 4GB or less, then you should be able to run 32-bit without a problem - but check the Dell site to make sure that they have 32-bit drivers for your machine first.

Just in case you weren't aware, Carey's recommended OEM version of Home Premium has two drawbacks - it cannot be moved to another machine under any  circumstances, and it carries no rights to MS support.

You've already seen the full effects of the non-genuine status, so if you can live with them until you hear from PayPal or your vendor about a refund, do so, rather than pay out money on a new OS now.

Have you tried entering your Service Tag number in the Dell support site ?  -you may just have got a dozy operator on the phone.

--

Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:47 AM
  • Thanks to everyone for replying.  One final question:  How can I tell if my computer is 32 or 64 bit?  I know the sell had 64 bit windows 7 installed on her, but how do I know that is right?  Can a 32 bit operating system be used?

Please see: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows:  Frequently Asked Questions
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 7:11 AM
  • "SimplyAdorable" wrote in message news:72339d65-11e5-41bc-8fb2-d54a0dcdbe64...

I am concerned because when I contacted Dell yesterday, they could not find my service tag number in their system.  It got me to thinking:  I got a new Dell laptop from ebay, no paperwork, no recovery discs, no warranty information (I thought I would get these materials) and non-genuine operating system.  I am beginning to wonder if the laptop was stolen or something. What is going on with this laptop?  I would hate to lose the laptop AND my money.  So I wonder if I should provide my name, address, etc. to Dell. What do you think?

The ebay seller has been suspended from ebay (after I paid for the laptop) and there is no guarantee that i will get my money back from Paypal (if the seller has withdrawn all funds from his account).  I do like the laptop and would like to keep it, if I can have genuine Windows on it.

Looking through the Dell site, it's a possibility that your machine isn't in the US system because it's not a US machine - are there any country identifiers on the case?

--

Sunday, January 30, 2011 7:24 AM
  • I've been using Toshiba Satellite L645. suddenly it is showing a message that 'the copy of windows is not genuine'. I've no windows 7 CD that i can re install it. It is really embarrassing. Is there any one that can help me out???????? here is the the diagnostic report:

Validation Code: 50

Cached Online Validation Code: 0xc004c4ab

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-X92GV-V7DCV-P4K27

Windows Product Key Hash: aU2z1/fnhnLHmhBm699qYZT2E6s=

Windows Product ID: 00426-OEM-8992662-00400

Windows Product ID Type: 2

Windows License Type: OEM SLP

Windows OS version: 6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.001

ID: {0E8299C2-4B61-4DBA-954E-22BCD3E7BC28}(1)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Product Name: Windows 7 Ultimate

Architecture: 0x00000000

Build lab: 7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631

TTS Error: 

Validation Diagnostic: 

Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->

File Exists: No

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->

OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 103 Blocked VLK

Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - 103 Blocked VLK

OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Users\Toshiba\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{0E8299C2-4B61-4DBA-954E-22BCD3E7BC28}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.001</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-P4K27</PKey><PID>00426-OEM-8992662-00400</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-4103017804-3470912698-1709399453</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Satellite L645</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>INSYDE</Manufacturer><Version>1.70</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="6"/><Date>20100915000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>67063A07018400FC</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Asia Standard Time(GMT+06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>QA09   </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>103</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>103</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>ACD7202654E586</Val><Hash>fFic3JgCreGGRxyF8uMWB4R4Jcg=</Hash><Pid>89388-707-1528066-65339</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="103"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->

Software licensing service version: 6.1.7601.17514

Name: Windows(R) 7, Ultimate edition

Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel

Activation ID: 7cfd4696-69a9-4af7-af36-ff3d12b6b6c8

Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f

Extended PID: 00426-00178-926-600400-02-1033-7600.0000-0272011

Installation ID: 013250917566396295049580403883918775650174853135994211

Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338

Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339

Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341

Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340

Partial Product Key: P4K27

License Status: Notification

Notification Reason: 0xC004F200 (non-genuine).

Remaining Windows rearm count: 4

Trusted time: 5/23/2011 12:08:11 AM

Windows Activation Technologies-->

HrOffline: 0x00000000

HrOnline: 0xC004C4AB

HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000

Event Time Stamp: 5:22:2011 23:56

ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395

Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395

HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->

HWID Hash Current: MAAAAAEAAgABAAEAAAABAAAAAwABAAEAJJQM/RKJmlFAl/QjdHtuAFasmJlvQ1xd

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes

Windows marker version: 0x20001

OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes

BIOS Information: 

ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value

APIC TOSQCI TOSQCI00

FACP TOSQCI TOSQCI00

HPET TOSQCI TOSQCI00

BOOT TOSQCI TOSQCI00

MCFG TOSQCI TOSQCI00

WDAT INTEL Calpella

ASF! TOSQCI TOSQCI00

SLIC DELL   QA09   

ASPT INTEL Calpella

SSDT PmRef CpuPm

Sunday, May 22, 2011 6:32 PM

•   Most Non-Genuine issue look the same regardless of the true underlying cause. So to help minimize the confusion caused by troubleshooting multiple different issues, we ask that all users creat their own thread for thier own specific issue.

In other words, please do not post "Me Too" messages in other people's threads.

You have a pirated copy of windows. If you want more info post in your own thread.

Sunday, May 22, 2011 6:51 PM
    Answerer