Registry Error? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows Live One Care and RegCure.  The windows help is referring to a registry error.  I recently switched from the butterfly mail and Internet to the Live Mail and Internet Explorer as Microsoft is no longer supporting the former products.  Since the switch I cannot open .ai, .pdf or .pps attachment.  I get an error that they are not valid win 32 applications.  I have searched and called all day for help.  All I get is it is most likely a registry error.  I have no idea how to fix.  I am a senior and on a limited budget.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:46 AM

Answers

• Usually when you get a message opening a file saying it is not a valid win 32 application the file association to a specific program has been lost. The easiest way to repair this would be to restore the Reg Cure backups. Most likely the registry cleaner disassociated some file types from their programs.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:26 AM

All replies

• Usually when you get a message opening a file saying it is not a valid win 32 application the file association to a specific program has been lost. The easiest way to repair this would be to restore the Reg Cure backups. Most likely the registry cleaner disassociated some file types from their programs.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:26 AM
  • My recommendation is to stop using RegCure as registry cleaners are notorious for causing more problems than they fix.

If Jim's solution doesn't help, he's right about the error.

Open Windows Explorer, navigate to a file with the extension you are having problems with, right click the file and select Open With. Scroll the list to find the appropriate application for that file type - .pdf is Adobe Acrobat, for example.

You may also be able to repair it by opening the program you normally expect to launch when clicking on one of these file types and checking the program preferences or options for a section on file associations. Resetting these from within the application will fix the registry issues for these file types.

-steve

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:34 PM
  • i have no idea what you want. i gave my user name and my password and my e[mail address and you rejected every one.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 11:58 PM
  • i cannot go on any farther because i have no clue. i have been trying for about 2 hours and i think that is enough

Friday, May 2, 2008 12:02 AM
  •  acelafarge wrote:
    i cannot go on any farther because i have no clue. i have been trying for about 2 hours and i think that is enough

You made 3 posts and have not asked any questions. I deleted your first post as it was not even a computer question, but a statement about the weather. What are you trying to do? Do you have a OneCare problem and are you seeking an answer?

-steve

Friday, May 2, 2008 1:14 AM