-- Validation issues 2+ years later? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, in order for me to get connected to my college's network, I need to pass a scan. However, when I run the scan, it tells me to install a Windows update, which takes me to the Windows Validation page. I have ran Key Update Tool, but it tells me that the product key is not valid for my laptop. I then ran the Windows Genuine Advantage scan, and this is what the report reads:

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0723.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PBVGM-4JQT2-P6VMT
    Windows Product Key Hash: NTPxB8EAwaV1eCKwAh92tZUxu0k=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-643-4127421-23917
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: b3db27b3-cf9f-45c8-b9fa-398ddd5b4b94
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3175-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>b3db27b3-cf9f-45c8-b9fa-398ddd5b4b94</UGUID><Version>1.5.0723.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-P6VMT</PKey><PID>55274-643-4127421-23917</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-73586283-963894560-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron 5150                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A36</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040730000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>FA683307018400C2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

How do I go about resolving this issue because until this validation goes through, I cannot access the Internet on my laptop from school, as I am posting this through a friend's computer. I highly doubt that my Microsoft software is counterfeit because my laptop was purchased from Dell directly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 5:52 PM

Answers

• The current operating system in use on your system is non-genuine and is a large volume license that belongs a large institution/business based in the United States.

I would suggest using your Dell Recovery media to reinstall the operating system back to factory specifications. If you have a COA sticker on the bottom of the PC, you can see if you can use the update tool as well (if you're going from Pro to Pro or Home to Home).

Please click www.microsoft.com/genuine and click "Validate Windows" and read about your options.

-phil

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:33 PM
  • Someone who had access to your computer apparently installed an non-genuine, volume license (VL) version of Windows XP Professional.  The only version of Windows shipped with a Dell computer is an "OEM version".  You'll need to use your Dell Windows XP reinstallation CD and perform a "clean install".
    Wednesday, January 24, 2007 8:09 PM
  •  zsang wrote:
    I'm still confused as to how my Windows system is non-genuine? So are others who have purchased computers from Dell experiencing the same problem?

I tried using the update tool, and I input my product key, but like I mentioned, it doesn't go through properly. A message pops up along the lines of how the product key I entered is not valid for the computer system. I don't know if this ties into anything, but the product key on the COA sticker on the bottom of my laptop differs from the product key on the diagnostic report from the WGA scan.

Common scenarios can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FailureScenarios.aspx

Does the COA on the PC state XP Pro or Home? If it is Home, you will have to reinstall the Operating System with the genuine Dell recovery media.

-phil

Thursday, January 25, 2007 12:34 AM
  • Zsang:

Yes, you should use your original media to reinstall XP Home.

You should back up your personal files and programs before doing this. THe update tool won't work because you're currently using XP Pro.

-phil

Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:21 PM
  • Zsang,

Unforunately, detailed assistance with backing up your data is off topic to this forum.

Dell has a huge user community forum whose members I'm sure will be more than happy to assist you.  http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/search?ticket=KyIYAdFUORSb_-1&submitted=true&q=backup

Other options for getting assistance backing up would be:

1.  A computer-savvy friend or relative.

2.  A competent local computer shop.

3.  Reading previously posted questions (or posting a new question) regarding backup at popular user forums.

Friday, January 26, 2007 5:51 PM

All replies

• The current operating system in use on your system is non-genuine and is a large volume license that belongs a large institution/business based in the United States.

I would suggest using your Dell Recovery media to reinstall the operating system back to factory specifications. If you have a COA sticker on the bottom of the PC, you can see if you can use the update tool as well (if you're going from Pro to Pro or Home to Home).

Please click www.microsoft.com/genuine and click "Validate Windows" and read about your options.

-phil

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:33 PM
  • I'm still confused as to how my Windows system is non-genuine? So are others who have purchased computers from Dell experiencing the same problem?

I tried using the update tool, and I input my product key, but like I mentioned, it doesn't go through properly. A message pops up along the lines of how the product key I entered is not valid for the computer system. I don't know if this ties into anything, but the product key on the COA sticker on the bottom of my laptop differs from the product key on the diagnostic report from the WGA scan.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 8:05 PM
  • Someone who had access to your computer apparently installed an non-genuine, volume license (VL) version of Windows XP Professional.  The only version of Windows shipped with a Dell computer is an "OEM version".  You'll need to use your Dell Windows XP reinstallation CD and perform a "clean install".
    Wednesday, January 24, 2007 8:09 PM
  •  zsang wrote:
    I'm still confused as to how my Windows system is non-genuine? So are others who have purchased computers from Dell experiencing the same problem?

Common scenarios can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FailureScenarios.aspx

Does the COA on the PC state XP Pro or Home? If it is Home, you will have to reinstall the Operating System with the genuine Dell recovery media.

-phil

Thursday, January 25, 2007 12:34 AM
  • The COA states that it is XP Home. Do I use the Windows XP CD that came with my laptop in order to reinstall the Operating System? Is that what you are referring to with the genuine Dell recovery media? Also, by reinstalling my Operating System, is everything, including all work, programs and downloads going to be deleted from my laptop?
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 4:42 PM
  • Zsang:

Yes, you should use your original media to reinstall XP Home.

You should back up your personal files and programs before doing this. THe update tool won't work because you're currently using XP Pro.

-phil

Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:21 PM
  • This is probably a stupid question, but how exactly to I "back up" my files and programs?
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:35 PM
  • Zsang,

Unfortunately, when a nongenuine installation of XP Pro is installed and you want to correct that by installing the genuine XP Home that came with your Dell, a clean installation is necessary for technological reasons.  It's a big job because you have to back up, then do the clean installation, then download and install drivers, then do about a million updates, then reinstall all of your programs, then restore your data!

As Phil noted, please be sure to backup and then offload any data that you want to save, since the clean installation process destroys all data on the c: partition of the disk.

Here's a link at dell.com that helps you go thru the clean installation process:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/tree?c=us&l=en&s=gen&treeid=FFA33DA99941FEDFE030030ABD62041A&journalid=1E101D82ACCC11DB8E9CE13CCF5BB765

Note:  Dell computers generally have at least one hidden diagnostic partition and newer computers have an additional hidden recovery partition, so please be care and do not accidentally delete these.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:35 PM
  • How do I backup my data, though? I'm not a computer whiz, so I'm unclear as to how I should go about beginning the reinstallation process.
    Friday, January 26, 2007 5:13 AM
  • Zsang,

Unforunately, detailed assistance with backing up your data is off topic to this forum.

Dell has a huge user community forum whose members I'm sure will be more than happy to assist you.  http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/search?ticket=KyIYAdFUORSb_-1&submitted=true&q=backup

Other options for getting assistance backing up would be:

1.  A computer-savvy friend or relative.

2.  A competent local computer shop.

3.  Reading previously posted questions (or posting a new question) regarding backup at popular user forums.

Friday, January 26, 2007 5:51 PM