none
Upgrading from HP EX475 to new EX495 - how keep data on original disks? RRS feed

• Question

• I have have a two year old HP EX475 that has been fantastic. It has the system disk and 2 1TB drives with approx. 1.2TB of data that I want to move to the new server.

What steps to setup the new EX495 to use the same disks and recognize the existing data? I do not care about the client backups, just all of the data files (photos, music, and archives of my projects).

Also, what is the process for having client computers recognize the new server (old server will be reformatted and given to someone else when new server up and running)?

Thanks!

Troy Chollar TLC Creative Services -- A Microsoft PowerPoint MVP -- check out www.ThePowerPointBlog.com for tips, samples and more
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 4:07 AM

All replies

• You can try to put the disks in identical sequence into the server (assuming the system drive is in the same position) and attempt a server recovery using the DVD delivered with the new machine. This should only reinstall the OS part and keep the data intact.

But I would recommend to backup the shared folders anyway before, since the headless character makes it impossible to intercept, if something goes visually wrong. (And without a backup any overvoltage, other catastrophic events in your home or theft will also effectively take away your data.)

Or set up the new one with the same password, then copy the files from the shared folders on server 1 to the shared folder on server 2 (either using a client PC or remote desktop into one system and start the process from there). This will take a while over network, but you have redundancy at any time of the process.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:45 AM