Cannot connect with console or access network public or user shares, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have an Acer laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.  I have managed to install the WHS console and I can do regular backups.  But I cannot access my WHS user share or the WHS public shares or log on to the console.  The WHS server name does not show up in the list of other computers on my LAN.

The message I get from my console when I try to log in is something like, ".... cannot connect ... check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on ... "

I am not sure my WHS is 2011, how could I determine that?

What is going wrong or how can I figure out what is going on?

• Edited by pksky Friday, March 14, 2014 11:12 PM
    • Changed type Andy Qi Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:49 PM
    Friday, March 14, 2014 11:11 PM

All replies

• I might also add that I have another client, an XP Pro client that can use WHS with no problems, all the shares work and so does the console.

I have also managed to log in from a browser accessing WHS using a LAN address, the client user name and password and access the shares that way.

I tried running a reinstallation of the consoler using http://<LAN address>:55000 and that software can't find WHS either.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:30 PM
  • Hi,

Have you enabled multicast in the router on your network? If so, please first disable it to see if it works. On some routers, it might include disabling RIP-2M routing protocol. For more information, refer to the documentation provided by the router manufacturer. In addition, have you ever installed a Logitech camera on the Windows 7 Home Premium machine?

Also try this:

To work around the pending reboot issue:
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Here is another article about this issue, it may be useful to us.

WHS 2003 issues — looking for suggestions

http://brucefwebster.com/2011/11/23/whs-2003-issues/

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:49 AM
  • Apparently the problem was that my WHS was on another subnet.  So I have a modem router that my WHS connects to and then I had another modem router with a wireless connection that uses a different series of addresses, 10.0.0.X and the modem router with my WHS uses 192.168.0.X.  I was trying to connect from the second 10.0.0.X router.  I hooked up to the WHS router, reinstalled the connector and everything is working fine.

No, I don't think multicast is enabled and, no, there is no logitech camera on the Windows 7 machine.

Thank you for replying.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:02 PM