Windows XP just failed Genuine Advantage test after 14 months of continuous usage and security dowbload yesterday. RRS feed

• Question

• This is what I have from the diagnostic tool.  Can you help.  My other PC from the same supplier is perfectly alright.  Can you please reply to
    Chris Clark

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-8365391-23882
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {223145CC-2BE3-4B98-A9C6-396C043FD6F1}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.8.31.9
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.8.31.9
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office XP Small Business - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005_70AFE6BE-656-80070057_E2AD56EA-815-80070057

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{223145CC-2BE3-4B98-A9C6-396C043FD6F1}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>76487-640-8365391-23882</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2052111302-1844823847-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTELR</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060924000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>5ED2387F0184EC66</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.8.31.9"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.8.31.9"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91130409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Small Business</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>C2409F8EEC5EEDA</Val><Hash>ffPTL4ZwdGSEPCN/gTpGm+ks9C8=</Hash><Pid>54188-OEM-1792925-32749</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="10" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

• Edited by Stephen Holm Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:26 PM Removed Personal email information.... Thank you Stephen
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:56 PM

Answers

•  Morning Chris,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing. We have seen numerous issues from customers who were provided a Volume License Key (VLK) on their computer that has either been blocked by Microsoft or generated by a fake product key code generator. WGA currently provides checks for these types of product keys and prompts the user to notify them of this situation. More invalid product keys are being identified daily and WGA is constantly refreshing its database with these newly identified product keys and immediately blocks them. Below I have taken a portion of your MGA results to share with you.

WGA Data-->

As a rule, VL editions should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP is Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.  Chris if this is a corporate system please ask your systems administrator to logon to the eOpen site (
    https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp) and confirm what your company’s assigned VLK. If this computer is not a corporate system please uninstall Windows XP Professional.

You have a couple options available. First you should have been given the option to "Get Genuine" when you failed WGA validation. Here you may purchase an WGA Kit from Microsoft and become genuine. Next you can take the software back where you made the original purchase and either request a genuine copy of Office or return your monies. Next I would recommend for you to file a piracy report by following the directions @
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy. Please locate "Reporting Piracy" in the upper left corner.

Take care,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:31 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:31 PM

All replies

•  Morning Chris,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing. We have seen numerous issues from customers who were provided a Volume License Key (VLK) on their computer that has either been blocked by Microsoft or generated by a fake product key code generator. WGA currently provides checks for these types of product keys and prompts the user to notify them of this situation. More invalid product keys are being identified daily and WGA is constantly refreshing its database with these newly identified product keys and immediately blocks them. Below I have taken a portion of your MGA results to share with you.

WGA Data-->

As a rule, VL editions should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP is Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.  Chris if this is a corporate system please ask your systems administrator to logon to the eOpen site (
    https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp) and confirm what your company’s assigned VLK. If this computer is not a corporate system please uninstall Windows XP Professional.

You have a couple options available. First you should have been given the option to "Get Genuine" when you failed WGA validation. Here you may purchase an WGA Kit from Microsoft and become genuine. Next you can take the software back where you made the original purchase and either request a genuine copy of Office or return your monies. Next I would recommend for you to file a piracy report by following the directions @
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy. Please locate "Reporting Piracy" in the upper left corner.

Take care,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:31 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:31 PM
  • FAO Stephen Holm

Good morning Stephen,

I am a Microsoft customer, and I feel your organisation is bullying me.  This is a long standing XP installation that repeatedly passed WGA validation, that you have just invalidated, that I recently and legitimately updated to SP3.  I have no understanding at all and less control over your licensing - it says anything Microsoft wants it to say, thrown through a window attached to a brick.  I do not go out of my way to get your software on the cheap.  The company I bought the 2 machines from had a long standing good rating on eBay, though they appear not to be around any more.

However on doing some research, it didn't take me long to find that apparently I can find and download all sorts of replacement keys to overcome this, no doubt that breaches one of your impossibly opaque licences.  Or as a Firefox 3 user I could just disable the warnings, not worry about upgrading to IE7 or IE8, forget about Windows Media 11 (I use Real) lose the security downloads that are a bane in my life and we both risk have the machine turned into yet another zombie for the Russian networks.  Fortunately it is a fast machine so I probably won't notice.

But I am a customer, and I feel this is nothing but an extortion.  Your company can make up any rules it likes.  Pirates are running rings round Microsoft with your WGA licencing, and as your company's share price has collapsed by 75%, staff have been let go and thousands more to follow I really do think this is a gouging racket because Microsoft have nowhere left to go.

So this is what I am going to do, unless Microsoft have an alternative suggestion.  I shall stick strictly to the rules, convert the machine to Ubuntu 8.10, move my Act! to Sugar CRM, discontinue MS Office 2002 usage, and move the whole lot to Open Office, Zoho, Thunderbird, and Google docs.  I shall write up exactly what I did, how straightforward it was, and make the process available on the websites of all my business breakfast networks (they are considerable) and copy to the BBC and The Independent Newspaper.

Stephen, I look forward to a constructive response to this as befits a lawful customer, not a criminal.

Chris Clark

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Chris,

Curious has your computer ever been turned in for repairs at a local repair shop?  Next question did you physically receive the Windows XP Media and Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker when you purchased from EBay? Next I would like for you to please visit
    http://www.howtotell.com and compare your COA and Windows XP Volume Media disc against genuine and non-genuine pictures located here. Please let us know how your's compares.   Chris we value you as our customer. As you I too am a customer of Microsoft.  No one is trying to bully you. Again let me try and provide you with more information. Also I would like for you to visit http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx where you can learn more about the uses of Volume Licensing. Below I will provide you with more information regarding different licensing. 

OEM-SLP: Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

OEM (System builder/COA):
    OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for Vista.  A major limitation is that the license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) states it is not permitted to be moved to any another computer.  One does not "lose their license" for XP if the motherboard becomes defective and has to be replaced.  If the computer owner chooses to use, or because of availability is forced to use, a board that is not a direct or identical replacement, there has to be a mechanism to accommodate these circumstances, and that is why a telephonic activation is authorized. To read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.

Single Retail User License
    Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer. Each Windows Vista installation has a unique product key associated with it.  System must be activated within 30 days of installation. After a 30 day grace period, the user will not be able to login to system without activation.

Volume License Key (VLK):
    The Volume license is type of license, where each VLK customer will be given a single product key and they can use this key to install Windows Vista on multiple computers. No Activation is required. Hardware requirements are not verified.  

Last have you contacted EBay and/or PayPal regarding this problem? Where PayPal is an EBay company, both websites are separate. Both websites will want to be contacted regarding your transaction to work with you. Where we are not aware of their exact process, we do recommend you looking into PayPal’s Resolution Center if you used PayPal to pay for your transaction. Please provide us with the following information:

·         Was this an individual or an actual business selling the product on EBay?

·          Did you receive the original software media disc, proper packaging and COA with the purchase?

·          Research and see if the person has an actual store front as well verses selling as an individual. Next please try and see if he has sold other Microsoft Windows. Maybe he has a high negative feedback. Maybe other people have filed against this customer already. 

·         Please provide EBay Alias contact information and direct EBay link where you purchased the product to us.

·         Please post the auction number for what you bought on eBay.

·         Please provide us with answers and any other information which may be helpful.

Thank you,

Stephen

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:40 PM