none
Compose Window Paragraph HTML tags vs. Break tags RRS feed

• Question

• Starting a new thread since this was part of a thread started by Jamie T. that highlighted two issues encountered.

Hitting Enter in compose box does not generate a paragraph break </P><P>, rather it generates a plain <br> of line feed. This causes attributes intended for a paragraph to be applied to the entire post, such as indent.

Interestingly, I just discovered that hitting enter a few times and then putting the cursor in the paragraph above and clicking the bullet attribute and then unclicking it causes the <br> tags to become <p> tags.

There's some funky stuff happening with the HTML tag generation in this compose window.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• This should be fixed in the next release (in about 1 week). Enter will cause <p>, Shift-Enter for <br>

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Uh-oh.  Is that going to affect the post editor in FireFox too?  The automatic <p> insertions made by IE are notorious for screwing up pasted code.  Causing it to be rendered with double-line spacing and all leading white space gone.  I was always blissfully able to paste code into FF without having to go through the mangle-the-code "Format code block" feature.  Please don't break that.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 12:50 AM
  • I'm glad to read that a fix is coming and hope, Hans, that it doesn't introduce a new one. It should only insert the <p> at the beginning of the block of pasted text and the </p> at the end of the pasted block. if it replaces all hard carriage returns (enter - 0d0a hex) with the paragraph code, that would not only impact you, but anything pasted from another source.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:19 PM
  • We'll try to get the scenarios you are concerned with in to the test pass that'll be starting today. If you have any specific cases/steps beyond what's already been mentioned please respond here.

TIA
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Hi, just wanted to add my two cents, and possibly some other test cases.

I have noticed that clicking in the post edit area really causes some nasty mark-up too. Out of order paragraph tags and text outside of the paragraph container. Just start a new post, click just to the right (say) of the insertion point, then type some test, press enter (which you would expect to create a new p tag below) the type some more. The new test will come up above the first, and if you check the markup it is really bad.

Also, after entering text in a paragraph, the text only seems to actualyl go into the p tag when you press Enter. If you just type some text then switch views the tag is opened and closed before the text which ir orphaned below it.

Finally, the whole experience of clicking in the edit window to try to add a paragraph between two existing ones, or to add a new paragraph at the end is pretty horrible. This happens a lot when you do not write a whole post in one go, or whenever you try to go back and add paragraphs earlier in a post.

Hopefully these issues can be sorted out in the next version. It is nice to see funky features like video insertion and all the wonderful stuff you have all done, but it would be nice to get something as simple as the editor producing nice markup working first.

Thanks.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 3:21 AM