WHS Becomes Unresponsive after 10 Minutes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire H340 Server running Windows Home Server.  Installed in the server are three Western Digital Green Caviar hard drives, including the 1TB drive that came pre-installed (plus an additional 1TB and 1.5 TB drive).

The server has been running perfectly for some time until last night when I turned on folder duplication for one of my shared folders (photos).  There was ample storage space available to handle the request.

Overnight the server stopped responding and had to be shut down manually.  Upon restart, the server worked fine for about five or ten minutes, and there were no indications of any problems with any of the drives or folders from the WHS console (all folders and drives are "healthy").  The external lights are also blue, indicating all is well. 

So here is my problem:  after about five to ten minutes following restart, the main hard drive usage light on the left side of the server stops responding, indicating that no hard drives are being used.  At this point the server freezes and must be restarted manually by pressing the power button on the front of the server.  The server will then reboot fine and operate normally, but then freezes all over again in about five minutes, repeating the exact same symptoms.

There was no evidence of networking issues.  The only “red flag” occurred after the initial restart following the first crash when I heard a low “beep” twice from the server’s internal speaker.  Also, for a brief moment, one of the drive status lights turned from blue to pinkish-blue, but has returned to normal blue.

Could it be a bad drive?  Could the lock-ups be connected with turning on file sharing?  How do I stop this from occurring?

THANK YOU so much in advance for any suggestions.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:23 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire H340 Server running Windows Home Server.  Installed in the server are three Western Digital Green Caviar hard drives, including the 1TB drive that came pre-installed (plus an additional 1TB and 1.5 TB drive).

The server has been running perfectly for some time until last night when I turned on folder duplication for one of my shared folders (photos).  There was ample storage space available to handle the request.

Overnight the server stopped responding and had to be shut down manually.  Upon restart, the server worked fine for about five or ten minutes, and there were no indications of any problems with any of the drives or folders from the WHS console (all folders and drives are "healthy").  The external lights are also blue, indicating all is well. 

So here is my problem:  after about five to ten minutes following restart, the main hard drive usage light on the left side of the server stops responding, indicating that no hard drives are being used.  At this point the server freezes and must be restarted manually by pressing the power button on the front of the server.  The server will then reboot fine and operate normally, but then freezes all over again in about five minutes, repeating the exact same symptoms.

There was no evidence of networking issues.  The only “red flag” occurred after the initial restart following the first crash when I heard a low “beep” twice from the server’s internal speaker.  Also, for a brief moment, one of the drive status lights turned from blue to pinkish-blue, but has returned to normal blue.

Could it be a bad drive?  Could the lock-ups be connected with turning on file sharing?  How do I stop this from occurring?

My guess would be that it started duplicating on to a drive that is having issues.  You might try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server (see the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to do that).
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:37 AM
  • Thanks.  Is there any way to know which drive is failing without running chkdsk?  I now have two folders that are marked yellow and failing health, yet all drives are healthy.  Should I assume that the drive health status is wrong for at least one of the drives since folder health is failing?

Not necessarily.  What is the exact error message in relation to your failing health on the folders?

I have isolated a single mpg file in my photos folder that will not open or delete, and when I attempt to either, the server locks-up.  So I am assuming that whichever drive contains that file is my bad drive.

To check the drives, is it acceptable to pull them from the server and connect them using an external drive enclosure with a esata connection to another PC and then run 'properties' --> 'check drive for errors' (selecting both boxes so that all sectors are checked)?

Sure, but it's just more work for you.  :)

Since I managed to backup everything to two external drives, I am also tempted to to just reformat (not 'quick' format) all of the drives and start over.  What would you guys do?

Thanks again.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:41 AM

All replies

• Could be that the DEMigrator is trying some major disk activity which is causing issues? Besides watching your task manager, I don't know what else to do besides a "server reinstallation"
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:00 AM
  • Hello,

My guess would be that it started duplicating on to a drive that is having issues.  You might try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server (see the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to do that).
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:37 AM
  • Thanks.  Is there any way to know which drive is failing without running chkdsk?  I now have two folders that are marked yellow and failing health, yet all drives are healthy.  Should I assume that the drive health status is wrong for at least one of the drives since folder health is failing?  I have isolated a single mpg file in my photos folder that will not open or delete, and when I attempt to either, the server locks-up.  So I am assuming that whichever drive contains that file is my bad drive.

To check the drives, is it acceptable to pull them from the server and connect them using an external drive enclosure with a esata connection to another PC and then run 'properties' --> 'check drive for errors' (selecting both boxes so that all sectors are checked)?

Since I managed to backup everything to two external drives, I am also tempted to to just reformat (not 'quick' format) all of the drives and start over.  What would you guys do?

Thanks again.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:01 AM
  • Thanks.  Is there any way to know which drive is failing without running chkdsk?  I now have two folders that are marked yellow and failing health, yet all drives are healthy.  Should I assume that the drive health status is wrong for at least one of the drives since folder health is failing?

Not necessarily.  What is the exact error message in relation to your failing health on the folders?

I have isolated a single mpg file in my photos folder that will not open or delete, and when I attempt to either, the server locks-up.  So I am assuming that whichever drive contains that file is my bad drive.

Sure, but it's just more work for you.  :)

Thanks again.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:41 AM