Connector will not install on Vista x64 Client with Build 1776 RRS feed

• Question

• Installed a new clean hard drive with a fresh install of Vista x64 (and nothing else) and connected it to the network from my test client. Used http://server:55000 to install the connector software, but it failed. Tried going directly to the /Shares/Software/Home Connector Software folder but it failed again. The error message says that the connector cannot be installed on a 64 bit operating system. That was what I was testing for in this scenario. It connects great with the other 7 clients on the network which are all Vista x32 OS.  I have tried several times and get the same error message.  This occurs after it downloads the connector software, discovers the Server and asks for the Login info.  Any ideas on what else I should try?

Ted

Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:18 PM

Answers

•  TMG01 wrote:
    OK, I moved the OEM folder and then deleted it from the Home Connector Software folder altogether on the server.  Tried to install the x64bit Connector again and it worked!  Voila!!!

So, should the Bug Report be updated to state that the PP1 Build 1776 install did not delete the OEM folder thereby causing the connector not to install on a 64 bit OS?

Thanks for the help.

Ted

In a typical WHS OEM install, that OEM folder does not exist.  Did you create it yourself?  What exactly was in that OEM folder?

Saturday, July 5, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Glad we got it working, I will take care of talking to the PM about the bug report you filed.  Thanks for filing a bug report and working to resolution with our dialog.

If you build your own home server - you should not have an OEM folder under the Home Server Connector Software folder.

Also, you should never delete, rename, or move the Home Server Connector Software folder that gets installed under the Software Shared Folder.  (I just have to add this - to remind people not to mess with this folder)

best,

todd

Saturday, July 5, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

• Is this on a home-built server or on an HP MediaSmart server?

What edition of Windows Vista?

what is the exact error message?

Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:10 PM
  • The server is running great with Build 1776.  It is home built but has been running continuously since October.  3TB of storage and 7 Clients are connected.  All Clients are running the Vista Ultimate x86 OS with no problem

As a test only, I installed Vista x64 on my test platform as a new fresh install.  No other programs are installed. It is not HP but home built.  But, when I try to install the Connector from the Server (build 1776) I get the error message that states that this software will not install on a 64 bit OS.  That's it.  (Couldn't get a screenshot as it didn't work.) I uploaded the Client logs with my bug report but there are no CAB files as the Connector Troubleshooter will not work on a 64 bit system according to your post on this forum.

Just received this from Microsoft Connect:

"Your Connector install is failing on the HP client install bits. You will need to get updated bits from HP that are x64 compatable before the install will succeed. HP is currently reviewing their release plans for the x64 bits. I would recommend that you contact HP support for more details and a possible release date."

Again, it is not a HP machine.  So, I don't understand what this message could mean.  This computer is for test purposes only so if you want me to try something else, just let me know.

Anything else you need?

Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:59 PM
  • What is the connect bug number?

If you go to the "Software" Shared Folder on your home server and then to the "Home Server Connector Software" shared folder - what is the date on the WHSConnector_x64 file?

Have you tried copying the Connector Software folder from your home server to the Vista x64 machine and then running Setup from your local machine?

Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:23 PM
  • I decided to reinstall the OS and try it again.  I'll let you know the results.  I did add the log files to the original Bug posting.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:26 PM
  • keep me posted - let me know the bug number so I can notify the folks that do the Connect triage.  I updated my above post after reading that you did submit the log files ...

... you can always try to copy the Connector folder locally to the PC from the Software shared folder as a 3rd option.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Well, I did a complete reinstall of Vista x64 and got the same results.  The date of the connector files on the Server is June 18, 2008.

edit - I copied the Connector Software folder to the client and tried setup.exe.  I got the same error message

"You cannot install Home Server Connector software on a 64-bit operating system"

Bug ID 354432

Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Can you make a new ZIP file of the logs from your home computer and send them in our your current bug number?

Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:33 PM
  • Send them to whom?

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:06 PM
  • attach them to your existing Connect bug

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:07 PM
  • OK

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:08 PM
  • OK, I added them.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:15 PM
  • Can you provide a list of the files you see in the Home Server Connector Software folder under the Software Shared Folder?

thx in advance

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Folders: DOTNETFX20, OEM, WindowsInstaller31

Files:  WHS_ConnectorHelp.chm

WHSConnector.msi

WHSConnector_x64.msi

WHSConnectorInstall.exe

WHSVersionUpgrade.dll

WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll

Setup.exe

Friday, July 4, 2008 12:49 AM
  •  TMG01 wrote:

Folders: DOTNETFX20, OEM, WindowsInstaller31

Files:  WHS_ConnectorHelp.chm

WHSConnector.msi

WHSConnector_x64.msi

WHSConnectorInstall.exe

WHSVersionUpgrade.dll

WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll

Setup.exe

Well, first of all, the OEM folder doesn't belong (not that it should matter).

Second, what are the dates of all of the files in that folder?  Please check all of them in that folder (not the subfolders).

Friday, July 4, 2008 1:46 AM
  •  

Files:  WHS_ConnectorHelp.chm - 3/31/2008

WHSConnector.msi - 6/18/2008

WHSConnector_x64.msi - 6/18/2008

WHSConnectorInstall.exe - 6/18/2008

WHSVersionUpgrade.dll - 6/18/2008

WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll - 6/18/2008

Setup.exe - 6/18/2008

Friday, July 4, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Try copying the contents of the OEM folder somewhere else.  Deleting the OEM folder from the Home Server Connector Software folder, and then re-run install.

The presence of the OEM folder may be the part that is causing you problems.

Friday, July 4, 2008 4:39 PM
  • OK, I moved the OEM folder and then deleted it from the Home Connector Software folder altogether on the server.  Tried to install the x64bit Connector again and it worked!  Voila!!!

So, should the Bug Report be updated to state that the PP1 Build 1776 install did not delete the OEM folder thereby causing the connector not to install on a 64 bit OS?

Thanks for the help.

Ted

Saturday, July 5, 2008 3:07 PM
  •  TMG01 wrote:
    OK, I moved the OEM folder and then deleted it from the Home Connector Software folder altogether on the server.  Tried to install the x64bit Connector again and it worked!  Voila!!!

Thanks for the help.

Ted

In a typical WHS OEM install, that OEM folder does not exist.  Did you create it yourself?  What exactly was in that OEM folder?

Saturday, July 5, 2008 3:13 PM
  • No, I didn't create it.  It was there from the original WHS install apparently.  It contained Folders: DOTNETFX20 and WINDOWSINSTALLER31 and files:Autorun.inf 6/27/2007, Setup.exe 9/6/2007and WHS Connector.msi 9/6/2007.  Also, remember, eight Clients had connected successfully previously to WHS PP1 Build 1776 with the OEM Folder still there.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 3:19 PM
  •  TMG01 wrote:
    No, I didn't create it.  It was there from the original WHS install apparently.  It contained Folders: DOTNETFX20 and WINDOWSINSTALLER31 and files:Autorun.inf 6/27/2007, Setup.exe 9/6/2007and WHS Connector.msi 9/6/2007.  Also, remember, eight Clients had connected successfully previously to WHS PP1 Build 1776 with the OEM Folder still there.

Very strange indeed.  Those are the original Connector files in that folder.  Did you have any problems during original installation (like the setup didn't complete)? 

In any event, I would suggest adding your findings to your bug report.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 3:30 PM
  • No, the original installation went just fine from what I recall.  the only problerms I have had were with PP1 build 1771.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Glad we got it working, I will take care of talking to the PM about the bug report you filed.  Thanks for filing a bug report and working to resolution with our dialog.

If you build your own home server - you should not have an OEM folder under the Home Server Connector Software folder.

Also, you should never delete, rename, or move the Home Server Connector Software folder that gets installed under the Software Shared Folder.  (I just have to add this - to remind people not to mess with this folder)

best,

todd

Saturday, July 5, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Saturday, July 5, 2008 5:13 PM
  •  

Hello,

I wanted to know how to get acess to the latest build 1776?

I've already submitted a bug report, but i don't see the download in the connect site.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:32 PM