none
Cost and a question RRS feed

• Question

• First and formost, I bought my computer through E-Bay and did not know it was so called not a official copy.  As others have stated, I think it is a crock that we are penalized for others action.  I do not have the money to pay for some stupid license.  My computer has run fine. According to your notes, purchasing the license takes Windows Home XP back to its orginal format.  So presently I have Office 2000 on my computer with Xcel, Word, and Powerpoint.  I assume I loose all that converting to your genuine format so  I can go out and buy that extra?  No wonder Bill Gates has so much money.  I never had a CD or anything else.  I just bought the computer used on E Bay and thought the deal was ok. I did not keep the receipts on it as I have had it for over a year now.  So you going to make me pay now?  Why dont you offer this free to all people  Not everyone is a crook you know.  Many of us are victims and you want us to pay up. Plus to stick *** on our computer without asking us.  That  in itself was illegal.
    Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:45 AM

Answers

• Hello All,

For more information concerning the Genuine Initiative Advantage you may refer to these sites:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx?displaylang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx

Now on a more personal nature. We do undesrtand the inconvenience this may cause Windows users.

One of the reasons some vendors can sell cut rate computers is specifically due to using invalid copies of Windows and in most cases they are not paying very much for the Windows Operating System if anything at all. This would be entirely up to the person that installed it as to how much they charged.

As far as indentifying and holding Vendors accountable for selling invalid copies of windows, this is a part of the Genuine initiative and we could use your assistance in continuing to locate those folks that are involved in illegal distribution of Windows. You can see additional information around this at:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx

hth

dave

Monday, May 29, 2006 4:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Floridadude, Just been totally confused with Microsoft. Have been ok for two years, and spent an hour trying to understand it all. we are both in the same predicament. Mine came with my Comp: so thought all OK !! Why should we have to pay (the Victim) for the criminals default ?? I am gobspacked and don't know what to do ??
    Thursday, May 25, 2006 9:49 PM
  • To help customers who unknowingly purchased a counterfeit version of Windows XP, Microsoft has created two genuine Windows offers for those who qualify:

Complimentary offer: Microsoft will make a complimentary copy of Windows XP available to customers who have been sold counterfeit Windows. Customers will be required to submit a proof of purchase, the counterfeit CD, and a counterfeit report with details of their purchase. Only high-quality counterfeit Windows will qualify for the complimentary offer.

Electronic License Key Offer: Microsoft will offer an alternative for customers who find out via the WGA validation process that they are not running genuine Windows, but do not qualify for, or choose not to take advantage of, the complimentary offer. These customers will be able to license a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP online for a price of $99 for Windows XP Home edition or $149 for Windows XP Professional. The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP will include a new 25-character Product Key and a Windows Product Key Update tool that will allow customers to convert their counterfeit copy to genuine Windows XP electronically. 

Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ:  

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en  

Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:58 PM
  • Floridadude,

Does your computer have a genuine Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the side, back or on a laptop, the bottom?  If so, there's a good chance the computer is properly licensed to run some version of Windows, just maybe not the one that's installed.

Tell us the version of Windows on the COA, assuming it has a COA.  For example, Windows 98, Me, 2000 Pro, or if XP, state Home or Pro.  DO NOT post the product key.

Friday, May 26, 2006 2:15 AM
  • If you say that they are charging $149. for Windows XP Professional, then why did I just get charged $199.00 plus tax? I got my computer from a relative who owed me money. It came with the XP Pro installed. I have had it for 4 years now with no problems. I think that it is unfair to charge those of us who have been shammed. The real people who have sold or made illegal copies aren't going to come forward like we have. Since I don't have a receipt, I have to pay. Some people don't keep receipts for longer than their warranties. Microsoft should have known that there would be problems and made the product harder to copy.They should be providing us with complimentary copies and then go after the real culprits!
    Friday, May 26, 2006 8:30 PM
  • Hello to you all, I am quite worried about this issue and cannot come to terms with it. As a 'Silver Surfer' aged 75, i fail to understand why innocent people have to be 'Penelised' ?? My Comp: keeps telling me, I AM A 'VICTIM'. My Comp: was given to me. I did NOT BUY anything !! -- But in having, 'Belarc Advisor' in my Comp: it tells me, that for' Windows XP Prof:' and 'Microsoft Office prof: edit: 2003: and 'Internet Explorer'--- My Comp: has 3 sets of Long Numbers, and 3 sets of KEY numbers and Letters !!

Now, will someone please Advise Me ?? And Remember ??   I did NOT BUY my Comp: ( others are in a likewise situation) All upset and wondering, What to do ??

Saturday, May 27, 2006 12:46 PM
  • Cotton Socks,

Look on the side or back or bottom if a laptop for a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity.  If there is one, it describes the version of Windows that came with the computer, and as a rule the computer is STILL legally licensed to run this version of Windows.

In fact, if the computer was given to you, the people who gave it to you might still have the materials needed to reinstall this legal copy of Windows onto the computer.

If the computer is from a big-name manufacturer, it's quite possible that you can purchase the manufacturer-produced CDs needed to reinstall the legal version of Windows, either from the manufacturer, or from an auction site such as EBay.  If neither of these is a viable option, and the version of Windows legal for that computer is W98 or WMe, then neither of those has a product activation system so any copy whatsoever would work in that situation.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 4:20 PM
  • i too feel the same way. I purcahsed what i thought was a geniune copy for mine and my wife's computer only have this happen. I cannot afford to pay twice for it. What are our chances of getting a complimentry copy if we have no receipt , no documentation, or even a valid cd. I genuinely afraid that microsoft will lock us out of our computer if we don't pay up . what are we to do when we've spent all our money the first time around??
    Sunday, May 28, 2006 3:07 AM
  • I thought I was the only one, it is scary having that message there every time I turn on the computer. A friend who has his own business gave me my computer 3 years ago, i've never had any trouble till now. he installed valid Windows xp but no longer has the recipts!!!!! I bought microsoft works for one hundred pounds I'm not paying again, I really don't need this hassle I haven't done anything wrong!!!!!!!!
    Sunday, May 28, 2006 7:23 AM
  • Hello All,

For more information concerning the Genuine Initiative Advantage you may refer to these sites:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx?displaylang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx

Now on a more personal nature. We do undesrtand the inconvenience this may cause Windows users.

One of the reasons some vendors can sell cut rate computers is specifically due to using invalid copies of Windows and in most cases they are not paying very much for the Windows Operating System if anything at all. This would be entirely up to the person that installed it as to how much they charged.

As far as indentifying and holding Vendors accountable for selling invalid copies of windows, this is a part of the Genuine initiative and we could use your assistance in continuing to locate those folks that are involved in illegal distribution of Windows. You can see additional information around this at:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx

hth

dave

Monday, May 29, 2006 4:05 AM
  • See, my point exactly.  I never got a CD nor do I have the receipt anymore.  It has been over a year.  So your telling us to pay 100 bucks to make it a valid copy.  AND I loose the Office suite which you want me to pay for that as well.  It was not our fault we did not know we got non valid copies.  It is not fair and I refuse to pay for it.  I bought the computer in good faith off EBAY. Why dont you give me a straight answer instead of the Microsoft pre printed Corporate ***.  I am so hacked at money gurbbing corp people who think of nothing but their stupid bottom line and dont care about people who can not afford stuff who were simply trying to save some money because not everyone can afford to go out and buy 500 dollar computers.
    Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:56 AM
  • No it does not have anything.  The story here is my old tower=hard drive crashed and I did not have the money to buy a brand new computer.  My monitor was fine so I went on Ebay and bidded on a new tower only with the hard drive.  It had windows XP on it and I thought I got a good deal.  No stickers with XP and numbers, No CD, just a tower with a CD drive, A drive, and Windows.  Anyway it has run like a top, never had a problem until these morons with Windows update started their little warning kick like they are going to miss a buck like Bill Gates needs any more money.  It was not my fault and I refuse to pay for someone else's error.
    Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:04 AM
  • Floridadude,

How about the old tower that crashed, did that have a COA on it for any Windows OS?

If you have something to work from, it's not expensive at all to "get legal."

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:35 AM
  • No one has answered my question yet. I need my computer and so I paid for validation through your site. You said that XP Pro was $149. and I just read through the FAQ pages again and it also states the cost as $149. Why was I charged $199. plus GST? I would suggest that before others take the plunge that there is some clarification as to the cost. If you say $149. then that's what I should have paid.

As an opt-in program, we should not be charged but receive a complimentary disk! This means that some users in some countries aren't being investigated at all and the rest of us that are victims get the screws! How fair is that?

The automated responses to the questions aren't too helpful. We don't care how much the computer shops pays for your program. As customers, people are just looking for value. You should have the same price for all! If the music industry can make a CD that can't be copied, I'm sure Microsoft could as well.

Like I said, I took you up on your offer because I need my computer,  and  I had no receipt. I am now very leery of Microsoft and leaving Automated Updates on without checking first.

Bill Gates owes me $50.00!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:55 AM
  • Pooperscooper,

I would imagine the $149 is in US dollars.  Are you in a different country which could account for the price difference?  Maybe there is an equivalent FAQ localized to your country that shows it as being $199?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:09 AM
  • Whatever the reason, you do have an illegal copy of Windows. Ranting that you did not know about the software being illegal will not help, because ignorance is not an excuse for piracy. The end result is that you have an illegal copy of Windows, and you either have to pay for it or live with the nags. As for buying stuff off of ebay goes, you have to be more careful to make sure you don't get ripped off, as you just did.

The people at MS work hard to bring you Windows and it's associated apps. If you don't want to pay for it, switch to an open source product like Linux and Open Office.
    Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:00 AM
  • Dan,

There is nothing that states the currency in the FAQ's. I looked for Canada under the world wide sites and it isn't listed. I am surprised that Microsoft would not state the specifics - most sites selling items on the web, list the type of currency! Since the Canadian dollar is at over .91 US... the difference in the dollar amount would have been about $15.00 difference, not $50. Microsoft is giving us the shaft!

Bill Gates STILL owes me $50.00.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:43 PM
  • Pooperscooper,

Since I'm in the USA I am ignorant of what happens in Canada, except of course, Go Oilers!  (Those guys can FLY!)

Anyway, what about if you add the GST (general sales tax?) into the picture does it get up to $199 CDN?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:54 PM
  • Hello Dan,

Microsoft charged me $199. plus $13.93 GST, so the total was actually $212.93.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:46 PM
  • Pooperscooper,

Seems like the prices are all over the place.  Many people from the UK have posted that the price to get legal there is £92, which converts to about $172 US.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:36 PM
  • I bought my computer from Dell and the software ( XP Profesional ) about 2 years ago and now Windows is telling me my copy is not genuine, think about that. I'm not paying $149 since I already had to pay almost $300 to Dell for it.
    Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:45 PM
  • Dan,

Do these issues get communicated to Microsoft Administration or do they just get left posted here. The pricing issue is a concern for many and obviously they just grabbed the prices out of thin air. Is there a specific department that I can write to, to ask for clarification and a partial refund? I don't want a automated reply, but rather an address to someone who actually might be able to rectify the problem.

After reading so many posts, it seems that there is more who are refusing to pay than not. And it seems that nothing much will change for them - they can still get security updates, etc. In the 4 years of having XP, I have never downloaded programs from your site - just security updates.I have never seen the screen on my computer like most of the others have - I downloaded the tool, voluntarily (I have my AU set to view before downloading) and then went directly to have it validated. I  immediately paid for the WGA onsite. I can't afford much, but I can't afford to be without my computer. This is pennies to Bill Gates, but for people on limited incomes, it is a major issue. 

Now I feel that I was too quick to pay and that Microsoft has cheated me. For me nothing changes, except I'm out over $200. I did not grow up with computers - to date myself, we weren't even allowed calculators when I went to school! There are many older people who have been cheated first by the computer sellers and now by Microsoft. Some of the answers to these people are less than helpful. They are victims not criminals! I wonder what those who say "ignorance is not an excuse" would say if the table was turned!  

It is very unprofessional to not state currency used, to charge different prices to different countries that do not reflect accurately the calculations from one currency to another and to target just a few people rather than everyone globally.

Many of Mr Gate's customers are students, seniors and people on limited budgets. It is wrong for Microsoft to not take their complaints seriously. The young students will remember not that they were sold invalid copies of XP, but what a hassle Microsoft gave them. As for us older crowd, old dogs CAN learn new tricks. I am going to check out Linux. The comments on class action lawsuits were also very interesting.

Bill Gates STILL owes me $50.00...plus interest!

Thursday, June 1, 2006 7:11 PM
  • I don't get it I got the message this morning and I(my parents) got my computer from
     PC World, and windows came installed with it, we had no idea on how to know if the copy was genuine and to get this message which makes it look like we have illegal software on our computer, I think it's dispicable that innocent people are to be treat like this by Microsoft, this is one of those things where people who have been with microosoft for YEARS are treated like criminals, now when this computer breaks, I don't think we'll be going with windows anymore.
    Why I ask should we be told basically we're criminals just so that microsoft can get extra money from us, no we don't have the recipt anymore(Who keeps the recipt for a more that a year anyway?) and on the tower there isn't anything all it has on it is:
    two little hologram stickers on the front
    one says Intel Pentium and the other says: Designed for Microsoft XP

Now I repeat we DID NOT get a disc for Windows, it was ALREADY installed.

Friday, June 2, 2006 5:17 AM
  • Hi, im only 20 years old so im not excellent with computers,but what do you mean you need a receit? i never bought a cd for this computer?so how the hell will i have a reciet?i got the pop up sayin "your windows in not genuine" i have not bought anything for my computer,and i do not have £92 to spend on something that i dont think is genuine!!!i never buy stuff that is so stupidly overpriced...this was not our fault!especially not mine,i never bought a damn thing,an now ur telling ME to spend £92 of my money! i think u need 2 realise that we are the victems here!
    Friday, June 2, 2006 7:00 AM
  • Pooperscooper,

If you look to the bottom of this thread, you will see a post by Sandy Weil, who lists himself as the Program Manager for Genuine Advantage.

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=440932&SiteID=25

I would think he would be someone you'd want to communicate with.

Friday, June 2, 2006 7:19 PM
  • I have a question re: Gen Advantage. I bought a computer at a computer show, they threw in XP Pro for free, so I know that it is a pirated version. However, I have a genuine copy with a valid license, from a MSDN Library disk. How can I use the license that I have to validate my current copy?

Friday, June 2, 2006 10:30 PM
  •  Tazz_xxx wrote:
    Hi, im only 20 years old so im not excellent with computers,but what do you mean you need a receit? i never bought a cd for this computer?so how the hell will i have a reciet?i got the pop up sayin "your windows in not genuine" i have not bought anything for my computer,and i do not have £92 to spend on something that i dont think is genuine!!!i never buy stuff that is so stupidly overpriced...this was not our fault!especially not mine,i never bought a damn thing,an now ur telling ME to spend £92 of my money! i think u need 2 realise that we are the victems here!

Tazz_xxx,

Does the computer have a Certificate of Authenticity affixed to it?  If so, that represents the version or edition of Windows already licensed to run on the computer.

Post back and let us know, so we can possibly help you.

Friday, June 2, 2006 11:01 PM
  • Thank you, Dan-

I am not sure if I am to reply to Sandy Weir from that thread or not. I am new at this. But I did go searching throughout the sight to see if he had a email address that I could contact him through. I didn't find him anywhere, but I did find an email link to use for concerns. So... I am hoping that I will get an explanation as to why there is a variance in the cost of the kit. Thanks again!

Friday, June 2, 2006 11:31 PM
  • to dan at IT associates, yes my computer has a certificate of authenticity(if u mean the sticker on the side of the tower!)i know ranting about this aint really gonna solve anything,but i dont see why iv gotta pay £92 when i havnt bought anything to install on here,it just popped up one day!
    Saturday, June 3, 2006 11:24 AM
  • Tazz_xxx,

OK, let's work with that.

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click Validation, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is to tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Saturday, June 3, 2006 2:06 PM
  • WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GB6MQ-GYHBR-VKRWJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ml9kcsngT9+J3OQaUvKcJ8q6goY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-5452912-23893
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: 4YFR5PC
    ID: 82c0bd37-adb9-4c8a-a489-08fef12b5f1e
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>82c0bd37-adb9-4c8a-a489-08fef12b5f1e</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VKRWJ</PKey><PID>55274-640-5452912-23893</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1708537768-1604221776-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>GBT___</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>FI</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040910000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>572D356F01846E52</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>296647F4C509C52</Val><Hash>FewyEwhUskGStbSgBEvT5GWIN1A=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-1756574-17709</Pid></Product><Product GUID="{90190409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Publisher 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>BABFAAD4C4D61B0</Val><Hash>SEishkJimZrBR/u8NT774CIf0yg=</Hash><Pid>54197-640-0698487-16581</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

ok thats it,hope its the right thing! and also its windows XP home edition,and it doesnt say anything about bein oem product/software, but the windows XP home edition is in bold black writing if thats the correct manufactuar name.

Saturday, June 3, 2006 4:31 PM
  • Tazz_xxx,

The diagnostic tool is showing that the current installation of XP on your computer is a Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP (Line 6) and that the Product Key (PK) used to install it is an Invalid Product Key (Line 1).  So there is no question that the installed XP Pro is an unauthorized installation.

Invalid Product Keys are invalid because they have been generated with a non-Microsoft Key Generator program, or they have been reported as lost or stolen by their original owner.

If the COA is genuine, it is very likely that the computer was properly licensed when it was manufactured, and that it is still licensed to run the version and edition of Windows on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA), which you are saying is XP Home Edition.  If the words OEM Software or OEM Product are NOT on the COA, then it has to have the computer manufacturer's name on it.  Otherwise, it might be a counterfeit.  See the examples of MS COAs here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

So look again for the OEM Software OEM Product on the COA, or look for the manufacturer's name on the COA.  Is there a computer manufacturer by the name of GBT in the UK?

The reason for really belaboring this point is that in order for you to not have to go out and buy a copy of XP to replace the bogus copy running now, we have to try to establish that the COA is genuine, which means the manufacturer might be able to furnish you with a means of reinstalling the original XP Home, or that the COA is a counterfeit, which might qualify you to receive a free replacement from MS.

Saturday, June 3, 2006 5:02 PM
  • The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key - all without a reinstall! http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409
    Saturday, June 3, 2006 10:01 PM
  • Hey, I'm new here and i just want to know what will happen to those of us who don't have the cash for the "liscence key" and might not have it for a bit.
    Sunday, June 4, 2006 5:03 AM

• Hello Again,

Well this is what I wrote to Micrsoft in an email:

WGA Charges

I would like to know why your pricing for WGA is inconsistent. On your site, under the FAQ's, you state the cost of the WGA is $149.00 for XP Pro. You do not state what currency you are using.
       I was charged $199. Can. plus tax (equivalent to $180.76 US). From the comments posted on the Feedback Forums, you are charging £92 in the UK ($173.28 US) and $10,000 JMD in Jamaica ($152.23US).
       You are also doing this is only a few countries rather than globally. I feel that it is very unfair to not treat all your customers the same. Why are you discriminating?
       I have my computer set so that I can view the AU before they are loaded. I did not purchase my computer but received it from a relative who owed me some money, so I do not have a receipt. I voluntarily loaded the update, then immediately went to have it validated and then on to purchasing. I feel that I have been made a victim, not once, but twice. If you are using US dollars, I should have been charged $164.03 US. You are discriminating by not including all users globally and you are cheating people by overcharging them.
       The people who opt-in to your program should be receiving a complimentary WGA package. They are victims, not criminals! They real criminals would never come forward.
       I am very disappointed that a company like Microsoft would deliberately overcharge customers.
        Bill Gates owes me $50.00!

This was the reply I got back:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service with your concern regarding the cost of the WGA complimentary offer. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

To ensure that you receive the proper support regarding you concern, I suggest that you contact 1-866-530-6599, from 9 AM to 4:30 PM (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. You can also send an e-mail to mswga@microsoft.com and expect to receive a response within two business days.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience. Should you have other concerns regarding Microsoft.com, please feel free to write back.

Thank you,

Nina
    Microsoft Online Customer Service Representative

If you have any feedback about your Online Customer Service experience, please e-mail my manager, Dave Escasa, at managers@microsoft.com

WOW! That's great customer service! They couldn't even manage to send this form letter out within 24 hrs...and now I have to write or call and wait another 2 days. Is Nina even a real person?

I've sent another email to the new address. Let's see if the service there is any better!

Bill Gates STILL owes me $50 US AND INTEREST!

Sunday, June 4, 2006 5:31 AM
  • im not sure where its ment to say OEM product/software, but iv just noticed on the COA that there is a part that has almost disapeared(i guess from the length of time iv had this computer its rubbing out from dust an such things) all i can make out that it says is "genuine" but there looks like it should say other stuff too,im not sure if thats where it would say what OEM it is,but if it is then i cant find out what it is.im really confussed still on this whole matter,im very glad that ur trying to help me Dan, but im only 20 and get abit confussed when you say all the stuff that i should try to do,i dont know much about comps,so im not very good with all the comp jargon that you use.i just want to state this again... i did not buy anything that i had to install on my computer,i logged on to my comp a while ago and had a note in the corner of my screen sayin that im runnin a counterfeit program,im really not sure how it got there,i never click on pop-up adds and i dont download stuff that looks dodgy or out of place.im so confussed and fed up with this,im thinkin i might just smash this stupid computer up,at least it'll make me feel better for a while!
    Monday, June 5, 2006 12:43 PM
  • Pooperscooper,

Hey, I'm keeping an eye on this as you are asking a very legitimate question.

But, I'm sure you realize that the first level tech support people are in no position to discuss the ramifications of pricing decisions (if the apparent overcharge in Canada is on purpose), and are in no position to analyze a possible glitch in the MS billing system.

But, keep at it Pooper, keep pushing it up the ladder.  I want you to get your money back if they indeed overcharged you!  (It would have of course been better to not have been overcharged in the first place.)  Keep up the good work.

Monday, June 5, 2006 2:20 PM
  • Nothing will happen to the use of your computer other than you'll be reminded periodically that you may be using a non-genuine version of Windows.

Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474/

Please follow this simple troubleshooting procedure:

1. Download and install the MGA Diagnostic Tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062

2. After running the MGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard".

3. Next, visit the following website and create a post in the "WGA Validation Problems" forum and paste the results of the WGA Diagnostic Data in a detailed post. http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/default.aspx?SiteID=25

4. A WGA troubleshooting specialist will analyze the data and recommend an appropriate solution.

Monday, June 5, 2006 2:21 PM
  • This just gets sillier and sillier... this is the response I received from Katie from the Windows Advantage Program:

Hello *****,

Thank you for your e-mail.  To help customers who unknowingly purchased a counterfeit version of Windows XP, Microsoft has created two genuine Windows offers for those who qualify, including a Complimentary offer and an Electronic License Key offer.  The Electronic License Key offer provides customers with the option of purchasing Windows XP at a reduced price.  All of the prices you reference below for Windows XP Professional are well below the estimated retail price for Windows XP Pro.

I am sorry that you are not happy with your order.  If you have any additional questions or comments regarding your order, please call 866-530-6599 (toll free in the US and Canada).  Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 10:00PM Eastern Time.

Best regards,

Katie

Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage

Is there no one who works for this company who has a clue about customer service? Katie acknowledges, in a round about way, that their is more than one price, but does not answer the question! I realize that the first line people don't set policy. BUT you would think that they might at least say that they will forward the information on to someone who might be interested that there has been an issue that could result in further problems for the company.  I noticed that there were a few lawyers listed on the employee profiles. It is no wonder that they have so many! They may need them! I am going to try the 1-866 number.

Does Bill Gates have a private email address? He owes me $50. plus interest!

Monday, June 5, 2006 8:34 PM
  • Tazz_xxx,

COAs on major manufacturer computers will be rectangular in shape as shown at this link: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/static/images/validation/coa_4.jpg

Also, COAs for major manufacturer computers will have the manufacturer's name printed on the COA in the spot held by the words "OEM name here" on the sample at this link:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/static/images/validation/coa_4_1.jpg

COAs from smaller computer assemblers will read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" instead of the "OEM Name Here" on the sample.

Monday, June 5, 2006 9:09 PM
  • hmmm.....well iv looked on my COA, and underneathe where it says microsoft windows home edition, it says nothing...for some reason it has a G (i think it looks like a G)goin sideways of it,im guessin no-one can help me now...i dont get this i bought this computer from a shop years ago,well iv had this comp for about 2 years,possibly more!so i know its not stolen or anything like that...so i guess because i havnt got anything saying OEM software or whatever i cant get help...
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 11:18 AM
  • No one seems to know and they REALLY don't care. I sent another email and called the 1-866 number. The second email response was this:

I am sorry that you feel that you are being discriminated against.  This office does not have specific information regarding how prices for this offer are established around the globe; however, prices worldwide are reflective of a variety of factors and are not intended to discriminate. 

I understand that you were aware of the price you were being charged at the time you placed your order.  This office is not in a position to offer partial or full refunds.  For further assistance with your paid order, you will need to call 866-530-6599 (toll free in the US and Canada).  Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 10:00PM Eastern Time.

Best regards,

Erica

Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage

When I made my purchase, I was not aware that the site listed the price as $149. It was not until I read the response on this site and then went back and checked it out.

The phone call was equally sad. I was on hold for 21 minutes,  listening to "Phantom of the Opera" music crackling in and out and then classical that you could hardly hear. There were no " Thank you for holding - your call is important to us"messages. It was almost as if it were planned to be so aggravating that most people would just give up and hang up - especially the younger crowd who don't  like classical music.  I got to talk to Dwayne. He acknowledged that the price said $149 and didn't state currency. He just stuttered and stammered and could not explain why I was charged more than the equivalent of $149. US. He said if I wasn't happy that I could cancel my order, but he wouldn't do an adjustment. He didn't know how or who set the prices. I hope that he can answer technical questions better because if he is just there for customer service, he's not very customer focused. Maybe when you have a monopoly on the market - who cares whether the customer is happy or not???

I am trying to be honest and I do not want to cancel my order. What I did expect to hear was "Thank you for bringing this to our attention! " And that they would make an adjustment to my account as well as to ensure they would change the price charged on their site to state that payment was in US funds.

Where does a person go from here? Newspapers? There are a lot of people who need to purchase this kit. Do they know that they are not being charged fairly? This was a simple question and  someone must have an answer!

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 5:09 PM
  • Pooperscooper,

First, let me applaud you for kicking some butt with this topic; you are like a pit bull with this thing, you got in in your jaws and are not going to let go!!

If you look thru the posts you will see some by Sandy Weil, who is the Program Manager for WGA.  May I suggest a new post with his name in Bold, to get his attention, because the average Joes answering the phones are just not equipped to handle this line of questioning.

Something like  ATTN:  Sandy Weil---I Have A Managment-Level Issue, or something along those lines.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 5:39 PM
  • Thank you, Dan! I will try that. I did the test a while back- 'If you were a dog, what kind would you be?' I was a Berenese Mountain dog, LOL! But I guess even those dogs need to show some teeth once in awhile. I just hate to see people treated unfairly. Thanks again for all you help!
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 6:19 PM
  • Tazz_xxx,

In the diagnostic report, it shows "GBT" as the manufacturer of the computer.  They may have their name on the COA---maybe that is the "G" that you are seeing.

Do you know of any way to track down a computer seller named GBT, does it sound familiar?  If you could find them, they might be able to supply recovery or reinstallation CDs.

Otherwise, we're in a dead-end here.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 7:10 PM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:

Nothing will happen to the use of your computer other than you'll be reminded periodically that you may be using a non-genuine version of Windows.

Periodically as in every time you boot up?  

Thursday, June 8, 2006 6:16 PM