Windows 7 and Thumbs.db

Question

• Is there going to be any update in how thumbs.db files from Windows 7 are handled?  From what I can tell, Windows 7 creates thumbs.db files in each folder with video/pictures if it's on a network share.  For local folders, it creates them in a centralized area instead of within the folder itself.  I never had the problem with Vista, but with Windows 7 I often times can't change the name or move a folder on WHS because of a "Folder In Use" error due to the thumbs.db file being in use.  If I wait a bit and try again all works fine.

This may be a better question for the Windows 7 group, as there may be a way to disable it somehow within the OS, but I've searched to no avail.  I wish I could just disable the creation of thumbs.db files on network shares, as I hate random files being created in my tightly organized and controlled shares.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:27 PM

Answers

• You will be better off asking in the Windows 7 forums, I'm afraid. How Windows 7 handles any particular file hasn't got a lot to do with Windows Home Server...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Found the answer.  It's a gpedit setting.  See the above link for details.

I wish there were a way to limit write ability on a share to only certain applications as well as users.  Seems every now and then I discover another application that's been monkeying around with my files unknowingly.  Be it Media Player changing tags, or a photo management app changing exif data.  I wish I could just enable write ability to only a specific music management app such as MediaMonkey or WMP, and not have to worry about any other media management/playback software writing tag data or albums jpg's to the share.  User beware I guess.
    • Marked as answer by jahamala Monday, July 27, 2009 5:27 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 5:24 PM

All replies

• You will be better off asking in the Windows 7 forums, I'm afraid. How Windows 7 handles any particular file hasn't got a lot to do with Windows Home Server...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Yeah, I figured as much.  I really hope this isn't overlooked, as it's extremely annoying.  I posted the same question under the Windows 7 Miscellaneous section on TechNet.  So far, no response.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/0750f546-47c4-434b-9a4f-992057fbf805/
    Monday, July 27, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Found the answer.  It's a gpedit setting.  See the above link for details.

I wish there were a way to limit write ability on a share to only certain applications as well as users.  Seems every now and then I discover another application that's been monkeying around with my files unknowingly.  Be it Media Player changing tags, or a photo management app changing exif data.  I wish I could just enable write ability to only a specific music management app such as MediaMonkey or WMP, and not have to worry about any other media management/playback software writing tag data or albums jpg's to the share.  User beware I guess.
    • Marked as answer by jahamala Monday, July 27, 2009 5:27 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 5:24 PM