Does WHS v2 allow Copy/Paste via Remote Desktop? RRS feed

• Question

• In WHS v1, I could copy files to and from my home and work computers, but this feature appears to have been disabled in v2. Is this correct or am I missing a setting somewhere??
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:08 PM

Answers

• No, he's right, Sean. When you use the Vail RDP proxy to connect to a home computer, Clipboard is apparently not available. Can't even paste a line of text from one window to another.

Edit: bugged .

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:51 PM

All replies

• Can you tell us where you're trying to copy the files? And how? I don't have any trouble with computer-to-computer copies.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:16 PM
  • In WHS v1, I could copy files to and from my home and work computers, but this feature appears to have been disabled in v2. Is this correct or am I missing a setting somewhere??

Firstly, RDP is not a supported usage scenario of WHS.  All access is either through the file shares, the connector or the WHS Console (or Dashboard in v2).

If you are using RDP to connect to WHS from a client PC and then using the copy and paste function to copy files between them, that is a functionality of your Terminal Services Client.  You have the drive sharing feature enabled in your Remote Desktop Client session for your v1 server, but you did not enable it for the session to your v2 server.  You can enable it by going to your session options, in the "Local Resources" tab, click "More", then select the drives you want to share.

• Marked as answer by MJevin Friday, April 30, 2010 5:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, April 30, 2010 7:57 PM
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Ken,

From my home computer to my work computer via RDC.  In WHS v1, I could remotely log-in to my home computer from the office, Copy file(s), minimize the RDC Window and then Paste the file(s) anywhere I wanted on my office computer.  Now in WHS v2, the Paste function is Grayed out, as in not available.

Mike 

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:35 PM
  • You're right, it's not via RDP but rather Remote Access through my Domain Name.  But still the same problem.  :(
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Are you sure? I am able to copy files on the Vail box and paste them to my local desktop through an RDP session.  using CTRL+C and CTRL+P.  I can go the other way too.  Make sure you’re not trying to go PC-VM-RDP, that doesn’t work.

Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:7f71c36c-3cb0-45f9-bb35-177239ffffb6...
    Can you tell us where you're trying to copy the files? And how? I don't have any trouble with computer-to-computer copies.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:57 PM
  • No, he's right, Sean. When you use the Vail RDP proxy to connect to a home computer, Clipboard is apparently not available. Can't even paste a line of text from one window to another.

Edit: bugged .

Friday, April 30, 2010 7:51 PM
  • Ah, I was using direct RDP to the server.  thanks.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:1de1e6d1-b1f9-4d1a-9f19-df4e649833ea...

No, he's right, Sean. When you use the Vail RDP proxy to connect to a home computer, Clipboard is apparently not available. Can't even paste a line of text from one window to another.

Edit: bugged ..

Friday, April 30, 2010 9:38 PM