none
Edits are not reflected, even after refresh RRS feed

• Question

• Now and again, I'll edit a post, submit the changes, the page refreshes, and... my edits are not there.  I can click Edit again, and the text in the edit window will not reflect my changes, either.  Resubmitting does not help; refreshing the Explorer page with F5 does not help.

The only thing that does work is to delete the entire post and resubmit it in edited form.   Since I cannot know whether the database might eventually reflect my edits in five minutes or five weeks or never, that's usually what I do, and it's rather annoying.  Could you please fix this?

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:54 AM

Answers

• A quick update.

I was able to find a log entry for that specific event. It indicated that the cache service returned a retry later exception. I've added some logic in for retrying which will be part of the next release (a couple weeks out now).

Until then, you may continue to see this sporadically though I do believe less so than before. The specific cache error seems to happen about twice an hour on any given server and they aren't necessarily all part of an edit operation, any cache put or remove is equally likely.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:01 AM

All replies

• Seconded. 

It happens to me too now and again and you never know if the edit has been done and you're doing it again or it hasn't been done.

Both seem to apply.

WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wss.asaris.de/sites/walsh/Lists/WSSv3%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Friday, January 30, 2009 1:23 PM
  • There are a couple threads on this one. We have what should be a fix for it, if it's a cache synchronization/timing issue like I think it is. This was originally slated for next week, but I believe we're going to be able to get it out later today. I'll respond here when it does go live.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Friday, January 30, 2009 5:58 PM
  • The update is now live. If you should happen to encounter edit issues, please let us know with any details you have.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Sorry Rob, it's still not fixed.  Same as before -- I edit, hit Submit, the page (eventually) refreshes, my edit is not there.

But now I also tried giving a reason for the edit (I just typed "x"), and now the edit was correctly reflected after the refresh... so perhaps the bug is in the code that allows omitting a reason?
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 9:48 AM
  • Chris, can you provide a link to the thread/post that this occurred on? I have to scan the logs and see if there are any failures around that place and time.

Thanks

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 2:23 PM
  • A quick update.

I was able to find a log entry for that specific event. It indicated that the cache service returned a retry later exception. I've added some logic in for retrying which will be part of the next release (a couple weeks out now).

Until then, you may continue to see this sporadically though I do believe less so than before. The specific cache error seems to happen about twice an hour on any given server and they aren't necessarily all part of an edit operation, any cache put or remove is equally likely.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:01 AM
  • Thanks, Rob.  So I guess entering a reason had nothing to do with the retry after all...

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:33 AM