Validation Problem? RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason as of late, MSSE has been alerting me to some type of "Validation" anomaly.  After traveling to the "Validation" website (as recommended), the problem appears to clear itself but occasionally resurfaces during a subsequent boot.

I don't know if this is associated or not, but I found the following in my event viewer...

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Microsoft Antimalware
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5100
    Date:  6/9/2011
    Time:  6:32:52 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: DELL8100
    Description:
    Microsoft Antimalware has entered a grace period and will soon expire. After expiration, this program will disable protection against viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software.
      Expiration Reason: Windows Activation Technologies genuine validation failed
      Expiration Date (UTC): 7/9/2011 10:32:52 AM

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

Any thoughts on this out there? Thanks

Friday, June 10, 2011 5:12 PM

Answers

• When you uninstalled the previous AV's did you also run the removal tools provided by the manufacturers?

While I'm somewhat confident this problem resides elsewhere (it commenced fairly recently), I believe I did for both Norton and McAfee...and I definitely recall using a "total removal" program for at least one, if not both.

That being said, I suppose running them again wouldn't hurt anything...but I'm gonna wait to see what transpires from MGADiag the next time this crops up (I'm the curious type).

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:22 PM
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:25 PM

All replies

• "Whateez" wrote in message news:0735c859-190c-4995-baa4-f4d98f08db63...

For some reason as of late, MSSE has been alerting me to some type of "Validation" anomaly.  After traveling to the "Validation" website (as recommended), the problem appears to clear itself but occasionally resurfaces during a subsequent boot.

I don't know if this is associated or not, but I found the following in my event viewer...

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Microsoft Antimalware
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5100
    Date:  6/9/2011
    Time:  6:32:52 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: DELL8100
    Description:
    Microsoft Antimalware has entered a grace period and will soon expire. After expiration, this program will disable protection against viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software.
      Expiration Reason: Windows Activation Technologies genuine validation failed
      Expiration Date (UTC): 7/9/2011 10:32:52 AM

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

Any thoughts on this out there? Thanks

This can be caused by a 'race condition' where two programs are fighting for access to the same file - what other AV's have you EVER had installed on that machine? what other security software is running?
    Next time the error shows, run an MGADiag report, and post the results.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:53 PM
  • This can be caused by a 'race condition' where two programs are fighting for access to the same file - what other AV's have you EVER had installed on that machine?
    Oh lawdy...an old machine (2001) and I've used lots...Norton, McAfee, and maybe several others I might have toyed with at one time and since forgotton...currently using MSSE.
    ...what other security software is running?
    None that I'm aware of.

Will do. Thanks.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 6:43 PM
  • "Whateez" wrote in message news:0b48e851-e459-4d2e-9cf0-44523df38fbf...
    This can be caused by a 'race condition' where two programs are fighting for access to the same file - what other AV's have you EVER had installed on that machine?
    Oh lawdy...an old machine (2001) and I've used lots...Norton, McAfee, and maybe several others I might have toyed with at one time and since forgotton...currently using MSSE.
    ...what other security software is running?
    None that I'm aware of.

Will do. Thanks.

Hmmm
    When you uninstalled the previous AV's did you also run the removal tools provided by the manufacturers? If not, you need to do so - Norton is especially bad for leaving stuff behind after a normal uninstall that can interfere with the replacement AV (even if it's another copy of Norton!)

--

Friday, June 10, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Hello Whateez,

Are you saying that this computer has never been cleanly installed/recovered since it was put into service in 2001?

If so, it's waaaay overdue.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 1:05 AM
  • If so, it's waaaay overdue.

Bite your tongue !

...or perhaps kudos, instead, for my ability to persevere and endure? ;-)

Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:12 PM
  • "Whateez" wrote in message news:b74a683a-7db3-4a88-a358-3d6f85222026...

If so, it's waaaay overdue.

Bite your tongue !

...or perhaps kudos, instead, for my ability to persevere and endure? ;-)

You go for it!
    No reason why a properly maintained machine shouldn't continue functioning properly until either it or the user die of old age :)

--

Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:18 PM
  • When you uninstalled the previous AV's did you also run the removal tools provided by the manufacturers?

While I'm somewhat confident this problem resides elsewhere (it commenced fairly recently), I believe I did for both Norton and McAfee...and I definitely recall using a "total removal" program for at least one, if not both.

That being said, I suppose running them again wouldn't hurt anything...but I'm gonna wait to see what transpires from MGADiag the next time this crops up (I'm the curious type).

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:22 PM
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:25 PM