about the windows installation RRS feed

• Question

• Would you please please give us a notification, when the system prepares to format all the partitions.

When I was installing windows(in the last steps), I prepared to install the drives of some devices, so I pluged my portable disk in the computer, then it formated my portable disk without any notification, then I lost all my data. I had to buy a 79$ software to recover the important data...

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:19 AM

Answers

• You should submit a suggestion on Connect, after first checking to see if there's already one there that matches your concerns.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:17 AM

All replies

• The WHS documentation clearly states that all drives will be formatted during installation.  There are also a warning during installation.

Perhaps you could review the documentation and installation process.  If you believe that more could have been done to prevent you from making this mistake, add a suggestion to Connect and describe what WHS should have done differently.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 6:56 AM
  • Also , when i see  Warning message about formatting ALL my drives and  cancelled  installation , i lose my currently  installed OS (W2003SE) because WHS installer remove some files from system32 folder .
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:16 PM
  • I have seen the warning during the installation, the setup will allot 10GB for the first partition, and remaining for the other, and during the installation, it formats the first one, and then starts copying the files.

It formats disk in two times, and they can do different things, if during the space of the two steps, I plug in my portable disk, these data will be lost too(I don't mean to format this disk as well). I think, formating the disk in a single step is better, or please just record the partition that will be formated down in the first formating, and do not format other new hard disks in the second, or please when you do the second formating, please give the user a warn.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:35 PM
  • You should submit a suggestion on Connect, after first checking to see if there's already one there that matches your concerns.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:17 AM