How many physical CPUs will Windows Home Server support? RRS feed

• Question

• Typical copies of Windows products will only support two physical CPUs. But I need a computer with as many CPUs as possible (both physical + multiple cores).

My research has discovered that Microsoft's server products can support more than two physical processors. And since Home Server is built on Server 2003 it might be capable of handling >2 physical CPUs.

This project is to build a computer to run an application to render 3D graphics. BTW, the current computer is running Windows 2000 and has only one physical CPU. So rendering the graphics can run several hours or a day! Yikes!

My fantasy is to build a computer running Home Server with a server quality motherboard featuring four CPU sockets. If I used CPUs with 8 cores then I would have 32 processors. Right? But would Home Server handle that many processors?

Thanks.

Terry Thomas
    PC Tech
    Atlanta, Georgia
    PCtechAtlanta@gmail.com

• Edited by AtlantaTerry Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:36 AM updated text
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:34 AM

All replies

• Typical copies of Windows products will only support two physical CPUs. But I need a computer with as many CPUs as possible (both physical + multiple cores).

My research has discovered that Microsoft's server products can support more than two physical processors. And since Home Server is built on Server 2003 it might be capable of handling >2 physical CPUs.

This project is to build a computer to run an application to render 3D graphics. BTW, the current computer is running Windows 2000 and has only one physical CPU. So rendering the graphics can run several hours or a day! Yikes!

My fantasy is to build a computer running Home Server with a server quality motherboard featuring four CPU sockets. If I used CPUs with 8 cores then I would have 32 processors. Right? But would Home Server handle that many processors?

Thanks.

Terry Thomas
    PC Tech
    Atlanta, Georgia
    PCtechAtlanta@gmail.com

Definitely no more than 2 physical CPUs (and I believe it's only 1 CPU, although I can't find that in the information at the moment).

To be honest, if you need that much processing power, WHS isn't for you.  You should be looking at a full server OS (Server 2003, 2008, 2008 R2).  WHS is designed to be set up, then left alone to do its job serving data and backing up clients (not running all sorts of 3D applications).  As a matter of fact, logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:54 AM
  • It should support two CPUs, however many cores that adds up to. See this knowledgebase article .

You will not, however, see the sort of performance you probably would expect from such high-end hardware. A single processor, with dual cores, will be more than sufficient.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:21 AM
  • Really would suggest using Server 2008 (or R2) - and using Hyper-V to put WHS under a VM. You'll be a lot safer and happier.
    WHS as your base OS doesn't match your usage here.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 11:54 PM