DNS registration currently off? RRS feed

• Question

• My dad and I are currently rebuilding a WHS installation from a failed HDD and I need to reclaim the homeserver.com domain.

However, it errors out whenever I attempt to contact the DNS server. Before it would fail before it even validated my Microsoft Account. After a bit of time I was able to get a bit further in the process where the server told me that I already had a domain name registered through Microsoft but when I told it to use that domain again, it errors out after that.

So is there an issue with the DNS registration server?

Monday, September 2, 2013 11:48 PM

Answers

• We figured it out. It requires the Windows Live Sign-In Assistant be installed before it can successfully retrieve the domain record.
    • Marked as answer by Cray-Z Sunday, December 8, 2013 3:52 PM
    Sunday, December 8, 2013 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Before going further, would you please provide more detailed information about the error you received? If the DNS server noticed that the DNS entry already exists, please try to delete the old DNS entry and then try to re-register the DNS to see if it could help.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:50 AM
  • There's no way the DNS record is still active. The original server's been offline for like a month

And it's a nonspecific error. I just try to claim my old domain name but it returns an "unknown error" message that says to try again in a few minutes (but this has been going on for several days at this point so it's not like I haven't been waiting).

Sunday, September 8, 2013 11:41 PM
  • We figured it out. It requires the Windows Live Sign-In Assistant be installed before it can successfully retrieve the domain record.
    • Marked as answer by Cray-Z Sunday, December 8, 2013 3:52 PM
    Sunday, December 8, 2013 3:52 PM