Print Drivers RRS feed

• Question

• When installing print drivers on HP WHS.  What drivers are needed exactly?  I've heard some say it works well with XP and some Win Server 2003.  In either case, should the x64 be considered as well?
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:05 PM

Answers

• Realizing that Windows Home Server is not designed to be used as a print server, so this is an unsupported use...

It works exactly the same way it does in Windows Server 2003. You'll need drivers that work in Windows Server 2003 (XP is usually fine). And if you want computers running operating systems other than XP x86 to be able to automatically install drivers, you'll have to add drivers to your server for those other OSes. Or you can preinstall the drivers on the client computers; that works just fine.

One thing I'll warn you about: inexpensive (i.e. consumer) printers usually have pretty poor drivers which don't work well when accessed through a printer server the way you're contemplating. You're almost always far better off if you simply go out and buy a relatively inexpensive network-aware multi-function; then you get printing, scanning, copying, and often faxing as well, all in one device that's designed to be used at home or in a very small workgroup.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:20 PM